Talk:There is also an English Wikipedia available
08/09/02 Thanks Tarquin but that is not what i intend. It is the idea to say in your language that there is a Wikipedia in your language. So it is not"Francais: Il éxiste également un Wikipedia anglophone. Voir http://www.wikipedia.org." but "Francais: Il éxiste également un Wikipedia francophone. Voir http://fr.wikipedia.com." -- giskart
- rereads... ah... now I get it ;-) -- Tarquin
- I must say, I *appreciated* the title you choose to give to that page Giskart :-) --anthere
2002-09-08 The title seems to be noticed and that is sufficient. I hope i written it right. I know my english from television. About the meaning of this page seems some confusion. When i recieve a pamphlet or a catalogue there is often a line on that says somthing like "Also available in English" or french or german. I find that very usefull information. When i recieve a catalogue from a company and it is 100% in french i am really pissed-off (like the say in American). The catalogue goes in the trach and i do not want anything to do whit that company. But if there is a notice that says "Ook beschikbaar in het Nederlands" (Also available in Dutch) i will give them a second chance. Now when a Wikipedia makes a poster or a folder to advertise there Wikipedia (whatever language) and you include a sentence like "Also availabel in ..." you can send humans that would not be interessed in your Wikipedia to a different Wikipedia and do some good that way. Also it gives a nice proffesional inpression.
- Random anecdote: some time ago I visited a museum exhibiting various items on loan from the w:Forbidden City. At the end of the twisty maze of passages and goodies to look at is a gift shop where you can hand over your entire wallet to the museum in exchange for mass-manufactured trinkets that in some vague way relate to the present exhibit; among other things they had a little multimedia CD-ROM whatsit... made in China, and labeled entirely in Chinese, down to the notice that the contents were available in both Chinese and English. If you can't read Chinese or Japanese at least a little, you'd never even guess it was prominently advertising its Englishness. --Brion
I see there are now 2 list. I do not see a usefull reason for saying in a lot of different languages that there is English Wikipedia. If the can read English that sentence in English is enough. If the can not read English there is no point of visit the English Wikipedia. But there is offcource nothing rong whit, only not logical. -- giskart
Redirect this page (There is also an English Wikipedia available) to a better title
I don't know what utility this page has. Anybody can explain? I think it's more useful There is also a Wikipedia in your language. I propose create that page and redirect this. Peleguer 18:46, 28 Jan 2005 (UTC)
Why does English have a special status? Why not having sentences such as what follows?
- También hay una Wikipedia en lengua portuguesa. Ver http://pt.wikipedia.org
- També hi ha una Viquipèdia en castellà. Vegeu: http://es.wikipedia.org
- Também está disponível uma Wikipedia em alemão. Vá a http://de.wikipedia.org
- Il existe également un Wikipédia en italien. Voir http://it.wikipedia.org
Actually, I think this page serves no purpose. Who will be helped with this sentence?
- Cũng có Wikipedia bằng tiếng Anh. Xem http://en.wikipedia.org/
Pablo.cl 15:01, 28 Mar 2005 (UTC)