Tell us about Hindi Wikipedia
From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
This page belongs to the project Tell us about your Wikipedia.
- Wikimedia Statistics can be difficult to interpret. What is your impression, how many steady contributors do you have?
- I think we have 10 active Admins and other 40 active members contributing now and then. --Wikisidd 14:47, 13 November 2009 (UTC)
- Are your contributors mostly native speakers?
- Yes, but we also have two other national bureaucrat. --Wikisidd 14:47, 13 November 2009 (UTC)
- Where do your contributors live (regions/country)?
- Mostly in Indian and also other NRI's. --Wikisidd 14:47, 13 November 2009 (UTC)
- How common is it that your contributors meet in real life?
Other Wikipedias 
- Do you have special contacts with other Wikipedias (maybe in related languages)?
- Yes, with En Wikipedia. I have edited there a lot. Not with a registered account. --Wikisidd 14:47, 13 November 2009 (UTC)
- Do you translate a lot from other Wikipedias? Which ones?
- Yes, En Wikipedia. --Wikisidd 14:47, 13 November 2009 (UTC)
Organization and support 
- Is there a Wikimedia chapter in your country? How does your language relate to it?
- No we dont have one yet, but we all are looking forward to it. --Wikisidd 14:47, 13 November 2009 (UTC)
- Are there work groups in other organizations about Wikipedia?
Your Wikipedia and the linguistic community 
- Is there a language institution for your language, like an Academy, or a club of people interested in your language? Do you have contact with them?
- Yes we have Central Hindi Directorate for the promotion of the Hindi language.
- Who (else) supports you?
- What does the public outreach for your edition look like? Do you have flyers, give lectures, training etc.?
- Do you get feedback from readers?
- What other encyclopedias exist in your language?
- Does your edition concentrate on certain topics, like your region and language, or Latin Wikipedia on Roman history and Christianity?
- Both, we have articles on our and world history and tradition. --Wikisidd 14:47, 13 November 2009 (UTC)
- Did your edition enjoy text donations, for example from older encyclopedias?
- Is there a generally accepted norm about your language (spelling, dictionary, pronunciation)?
- Yes Hindi language has some rule for standard spelling but they are generally not followed because the government allowed the use of other spelling in the Hindi language so as to not to enforce standardized rules.
- How do you deal with different spellings, dialects etc. (like B.E. lift and A.E. elevator)?
- We don't have such conflicts.