WikiConference India 2011/Submissions/Geoki - An integrated approach to geocoding wikipedia articles
This is an open submission for WikiConference India 2011.
- 17:08, 30 August 2011 (UTC)
- Title of the submission
Geoki - An integrated approach to geocoding wikipedia articles
- Type of submission (workshop, tutorial, or presentation)
- Author of the submission
Planemad - arun ganesh
- E-mail address or username (if username, please confirm email address in Special:Preferences)
- State of your origin (Country, if you are not based in India)
- Affiliation, if any (organization, company etc.)
Student, National Institute of Design
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (maximum 500 words)
The number of geocoded aricles and media in wikipedia has been rising steadily for the past few years. However, the process of adding geographic coordinates to articles has been a manual process using tools built mostly on google map services. This process makes the data vulnerable to be restricted under the google TOS which can hinder the wider usage of the coordinate data into other projects in future. In addition to the problem of unsourced and unverified coordinates, each language project in wikipedia has its own set of geocoding information for the same article. This makes the entire process of geocoding wikipedia articles a virtually endless task.
What is required is an integrated approach to geocoding, by making it a semi automated process using the biggest databease of opengeodata available with the openstreetmap project. I propose an extended wiki database called GEOKI that will act as a bridge between wikipedia namespaces and geographic objects and shapes in the openstreetmap project.
I will present the basic features of such a concept, how it could work and the potential it has in extending the knowledge contained in both the wikedia and openstreetmap projects.
- Track (Community/Knowledge/Outreach/Technology)
- Will you attend Wikiconference if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)