Wikimania is an annual conference centered on the Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia and similar projects). It features presentations on Wikimedia projects, other wikis, free/open source software, free knowledge and free content, and the social and technical aspects which relate to these topics. The most recent Wikimania was in London in August 2014; next Wikimania will be in Mexico in July 2015.
Wikimania attracts Wikimedia project participants from around the world, including writers, editors, programmers, and photographers; Wikimedia Foundation staff; and members of the 30+ country-based Wikimedia chapters. Many independent researchers also attend and present. Attendance has ranged from 380 to 1'400 people, with representation from more than 50 countries. The conference is typically held on a different continent each year, and has taken place in nine countries on five continents to date.
Wikimania is organized by local volunteer teams, with support from international volunteers, and the Wikimedia Foundation and other sponsors. Conference location is determined by an international jury of community members, who review location bids submitted by teams from different locations. Guidelines for interested communities who wish to host Wikimania, and information about past bids, can be found below.
The conference program consists of presentations and workshops from community members, speakers from related projects, and wiki researchers, as well as social activities and informal discussions. Some formal research is presented, in addition to "best practice" knowledge sharing and presentations of ongoing work. Wikimania also features formal reports from Wikimedia Foundation board members and staff, renowned keynote speakers, and opportunities to interact with dedicated Wikimedia contributors from all around the world.
- See also Wikipedia coverage of Wikimania (in German, English, French, Indonesian, Polish, Portuguese, Slovenian, Chinese, Italian, Dutch and Spanish).
The next Wikimania will be held in Mexico, in July 2015.
- wikimania2015.wikimedia.org, the official wiki-based site for the conference
- Organizational page for Wikimania 2015
- (completed) Bid history for Wikimania 2015
People who have been to every Wikimania are informally in the Perfect Attendance Club.
The first and most critical decision to be made for each upcoming Wikimania is where it will be held. Most generally, this decision is based on which group of local volunteers is best equipped to accomplish the complex collection of tasks that lead to a successful conference; there is also a strong effort to ensure that conference locations are distributed fairly evenly around the globe from year to year.
The first step in the process is the selection of a jury, which will solicit and evaluate bids from local volunteer teams. Jury selection typically takes place in November, about 18 months before the conference is to take place, and bidding opens shortly thereafter. The jury's final decision is typically announced in April, which allows time for organizers to attend and observe that year's Wikimania as they begin ramping up efforts for the following year.
Bids for upcoming Wikimania conferences
- 2016: Wikimania 2016 bids
- Join the Wikimania mailing list, or browse its archives.
- The Wikimania/community group is a wikiproject for supporting Wikimania. Please list yourself there if you have experience working on Wikimania or would like to help out.
- Visit the online chat room #wikimania on the freenode IRC network. (see IRC instructions for help)
- Wikimania checklist – a general checklist of things that need to be done to run a conference (especially Wikimania). See also the bid criteria.
- Wikimania Handbook – the big book of Wikimania. Tons of organizational info and well worth reading if you are planning the conference!
- Unofficial advice for running a wikimania, written up in 2007 by Phoebe: User:Phoebe/Wikimania
- wm2014:Videos and wm2013 and earlier videos