Wikimania 2008/Postmortem Survey
Thank you for filling out this survey. Please write as much as you want: we promise to read it all :-)
ABOUT YOU 
YOUR PARTICIPATION [check one]
- I have been active in the Wikimedia projects for more than three years, and/or on average I spend an hour a day or more working on them.
- I am active or have been active in the projects in the past. Now I spend most of my time on organisational matters (chapters, real-life activities, etc.)
- I have been active in the projects for less than one year, and/or I spend less than an hour per week working on them.
- I am moderately active/experienced.
- I am an observer or supporter.
YOUR LOCATION [check one]
- I live in Egypt
- I do not live in Egypt
YOUR RELATIONSHIP TO WIKIMEDIA [check as many as apply]
- Contributor (time)
- Contributor (money)
- Supporter of Wikimedia
- Colleague (partner or business relationship)
- Supporter of free culture / open source
- Supporter of the right to knowledge
- Researcher or academic
- Observer / onlooker
YOUR RELATIONSHIP TO WIKIMANIA [check as many as apply]
- Attendee (first Wikimania)
- Attendee (not my first Wikimania)
- Local volunteer
- Staff of the Wikimedia Foundation
- Staff of the Bibliotheca Alexandrina
- I helped organize/plan, but did not actually attend the conference
ABOUT WIKIMANIA 2008 
- Communications before the conference (website, registration process, availability of information in general)
- Conference-supplied transportation (airport shuttle)
- Non-conference-supplied transportation (overall cost, convenience)
- Lodging (comfort, cleanliness, overall convenience)
- Conference venue
- Conference program overall (did it meet your expectations/needs)
- Quality of the keynote talks
- Quality of the workshops/presentations
- Quality of the lightning talks and poster sessions
- Communications during the conference (schedule changes, etc.)
- Food and drink during the conference (availability, quality, convenience)
- Support for impromptu socializing during the conference (availability of gathering spaces, comfort, convenience, hours)
- Organized social activities during the conference (parties and other organized gatherings)
- Communications after the conference
- I feel like Wikimania 2008 was designed for people like me.
- I feel like Wikimania 2008 was probably not designed for people like me, but I found it useful/enjoyable anyway.
- I feel like Wikimania 2008 was probably not a very good use of my time.
- I am part of the core Wikimedia community: I attended Wikimania 2008 in order to stay connected to the projects
- I am fairly new to Wikimedia: I attended Wikimania 2008 to learn more about the projects
- I am mostly a Wikimedia observer or supporter: I attended Wikimania 2008 mainly for professional/research/academic reasons
- I believe the workshop sessions at Wikimania should be longer so that topics can be explored in greater depth.
- The schedule at Wikimania is too densely packed: I wish there was more time set aside for casual socializing.
- I believe Wikimania too often takes place in "exotic" locations: it should focus more on cheapness and accessibility.
- Wikimania should be four days long instead of three.
- This year the party was on the last night. Please move it earlier, next time.
- I am comfortable with Wikimania being a little loose and casual: I do not want it to be more like an ordinary professionally-organized conference.
- I would like to see longer and more detailed descriptions of the sessions in the schedule.
- Wikimania should focus on the core Wikimedia community: outreach should not be one of its core goals.
Why did you attend Wikimania 2008? (elaborate as much as you want)
- I wanted to meet up with other Wikimedians (social)
- I wanted to learn something about Wikimedia/Wikipedia
- I wanted to share my experiences/knowledge with others
- Scientific/academic/professional/research purposes
Thank you. We appreciate your help.
Disclaimer: This quick little survey will not necessarily yield statistically useful results. The results of this survey, probably including a sampling of the write-in comments, will be released to the Wikimedia community. We will be careful to not publish any comments that might be personally identifying: if you definitely don't want your comments published anywhere, please just say so.
SPEAKER BIT 
If you were a speaker, please go on and click here.
ABOUT YOU 
- Is this your first time being a speaker at any conference? [y/n]
- Is this your first time being a speaker for Wikimania? [y/n]
CALL FOR PAPERS AND SUBMISSION 
How did you hear about Wikimania's call for paper? [FT]
Please rate the following on a scale of 1 to 4 (very adequate to not at all adequate):
- Visibility of the call for papers
- Submission dates
- The web-site for making your submission
- Any communications you had with the conference organisers
- Registration process as a speaker
What, if anything, could be done to improve your experience registering as a speaker at Wikimania? [FT]
YOUR SESSION 
How satisfied were you with the facilities in the room in which you gave your talk? [4 - very happy/happy/unhappy/very unhappy]
Please rate your satisfaction with the following on a scale of 1 to 4 (very happy to very unhappy): [4+NA]
- The speaking facilities in the room in which you gave your session
- The session moderator
- The support staff (technical, other)
- Response to any special requests (materials/technology/etc.), if appropriate
How well did the room you gave your session in fit you? [3 - too large/just right/too small]
What problems, if any, did you experience with the facilities or multimedia during your session? [FT]+NA
Did the your expectation of Wikimania from the Call For Papers match reality? [Y/N]
How did you feel your session fit in the overall program (content wise)? Perfect match/OK/Terrible
Would you consider presenting again at this conference? [Y/N]
What, if anything, could be done to improve your experience as a speaker at this conference? [FT]