In 2012, Wikimedians in Korea started a preparatory committee to establish an non-profit organization registered in Korea to promote local Wikimedian movement. Wikimedians of Korea hopes to be recognized as an user group of Wikimedia Foundation.
All Wikimedia projects are inner-connected, and anyone can use and participate on it. The most biggest project of these projects is Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia, which is very popular site. Anyone can approach to knowledge freely using the wikipedia, and Wikipedia has over 16 million articles in 260 languages. Wikipedia and sisterhood projects are maintained by voluntary participation and donations, without ads. (Shortcut: http://wikimedia.kr , http://kr.wikimedia.org )
Our mission is to support and promote Wikimedia projects hosted by Wikimedia Foundation Inc. We will support and promote the collection and development of educational content under free license and in public domain. To achieve our mission, we will provide infrastructures and organizational system in coorperation with the foundation and individual volunteers, and we will contribute to making and keeping useful information from the Wikimedia projects available on the internet free of charge, in perpetuity.
- We will operate and fundraise to operate online systems for the creation, collection, and distribution, respectively, of free content, focusing on the Wikimedia projects.
- We will help to accquire, distribute, and use information about free content, wikis and the Wikimedia projects, and promote free content, wikis and the Wikimedia projects through events, informational materials, or others.
- We will distribute and support to distribution of free content by other means, e.g., in digital or printed media, focusing on content from the Wikimedia projects.
- We will develop and lead ways of developing and expanding educational content under free license and in public domain in the Wikimedia projects and other organizations.
- We will resolve scientific, social, cultural, and legal questions related to free content and wikis, e.g., with expert opinions, scientific studies, and awarding of scholarships.
- On November 10, 2013, the Korean draft of bylaws was modified. The English draft will be modified later.
- On November 12, 2013, a talk about the legal name of the local chapter of South Korea was started at the Korean Wikipedia.
- On December 14, 2013, a regular general meeting of the pre-chapter of Wikimedia South Korea was held at the office of Daum Communication, Seoul.
- On October 19, 2014, found meeting of Wikimedia South Korea will be hold at the office of Daum Communication, Seoul.
Wikimedians in South Korea, created "Wikimedia Korea Preparatory Committee" to found Wikimedia Korea , and are working hard for vitalization. Preparatory Committee created an executive committee and delegated all general tasks and founding tasks. Executive committee is preparing for establishment according to procedure for establishment. Wikimedia chapters are independent organizations founded to support and promote the Wikimedia projects within a specified geographical region (country).
For those who are interested in Wikimedia Korea, there is a mailing list, mail:wikimedia-kr.
Notice: documents of this part are written in only Korean.
application for membership
- Executive Committee