The Wikimedia movement consists of the people and groups of people sharing common goals and activities with regard to creating and supporting free knowledge educative content.
Owner of the trademark Wikimedia is the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF). Linked to the WMF are:
- Its own organs and committees:
- Wikimedia Projects (wiki websites, sister projects):
- Wikipedia, in more than 250 language versions
- other content related wikis
- 'backstage' wikis or organization wikis, such as this Meta Wiki
- Wikimedia affiliates:
More generally speaking, Wikimedia stakeholders are also part of the Wikimedia movement (readers of Wikimedia content, donors, schools, GLAM, similar-minded institutions, and companies co-operating with the Wikimedia Foundation or other Wikimedia organizations).
See also 
- thread on foundation-l mailing list, started by Anthere, where the term and concept was launched. and the
- Communication issues musings of a dinosaur (about 17:30), Anthere's speech at Wikimania 2008.
- Scaling up: can Wikimedia Become A 300 Million People Movement By 2020? (about minute 4), Eloquence's speech at Wikimania 2009.
- Use of the term in Wikimedia mailing lists.