From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
This is an old construction page of Wikizine.
Do not edit it.
To read old versions of Wikizine use the archives.To subscribe to Wikizine see here. To report news Talk page.
****************************************** Wikizine.org's __ /\ \ \_____ _____ / \/ / _ \ \ /\ / / __| / /\ / __/\ V V /\__ \ \_\ \/ \___| \_/\_/ |___/ Year: 2011 Week: 38 Number: 128 ****************************************** An independent internal news bulletin for the members of the Wikimedia community //////////////////////////////////////////
- [Your reports] - Post your news for the next edition of Wikizine on Meta or in our Google form.
- [Wikinews fork] - The Open Globe, a Wikinews fork, has been announced. The fork produced much discussion on Foundation-l about the causes of the fork, Wikimedia Foundation support for projects other than Wikipedia, and the nature of Wikinews.
- [Wiki Loves Monuments] - 15,000 images from Wiki Loves Images and counting.
- [Hungarian Wikipedia] - Hungarian Wikipedia reached 200,000 articles.
- [Image filter "referendum"] - Discussions on image filter still ongoing (similar size of the foundation-l archive for the half of September in comparison to the whole August). They escalated last week. The German Wikipedia opened a poll which ends today. As of Tuesday morning, more than 85% (340:56) of voters are against implementation of an image filter on the German Wikipedia. "Next steps" for the de.wp community are in the process of analysis.
Technical news 
- [Translation rally] - Wikimedia Netherlands sponsors translatewiki.net to run a translation rally.
- [Wiki Golf] - Proprietary computer game "Wiki Golf" features "six degrees of separation" on Wikipedia.
- [August report] - Wikimedia Foundation published August report.
- [Wikipedia Sepedi] - Wikipedia in Northern Sotho or Sepedi has been approved.
- [Donate wiki] - Donate wiki has been opened. However, donate.wikimedia.org still redirects to Wikimedia Foundation Donate page.
- [Wikimedia DC becomes chapter] - Board has recognized Wikimedia DC as 36th Wikimedia chapter and the second chapter in the United States.
- [Wikipedia club at University in Mexico] - In a guest post on Gerard Meijssen's blog, Leigh Thelmadatter presents the Wikipedia club at University in Mexico.
- [Wikimedia UK's CEO] - Wikimedia UK asks Wikimedians to help them to choose a CEO.
- [WikiConference India] - WikiConference India is warming up. It will be held in Mumbai between November 18th and 20th.
- [Wikimedia Canada] - Wikimedia Canada offers scholarships for Wikipedia articles in medicine.
- [Wikimedia UK and Institute of Physics] - Wikimedia UK members visited the Institute of Physics.
Chapters reports 
- [Wikimedia India] - Wikimedia India has published its fifth report.
- [Wikimedia Sweden] - Wikimedia Sweden has published its report for August 2011.
- [Wikimedia Summer of Research] - Findings from the Wikimedia Foundation Summer of Research are now available.
- [Pupils love, teachers hate Wikipedia] - On his blog, Ziko van Dijk describes research by Wikimedia Germany about the use of Wikipedia by teachers and students.
- [Wikipedia in Liberal Arts Classroom] - National Institute for Technology in Liberal Education has published a good article on Wikipedia in liberal arts classrooms.
- [Breaking news trends] - Ushahidi, a non-profit software company from Africa, has started a project to track breaking news trends on Wikipedia.
- [Wikipedia Signpost] - New edition of Wikipedia Signpost has been published. In this edition you can find stories: Foundation reports on research, Kenya trip, Mumbai Wikiconference, 9/11 anniversary casts its shadow on the wiki, A minimalist makeover and so on.
Events and meetups 
- [21 August - 6 October] - Stewards election.
- [21 August - 6 October] - Questions to candidates.
- [15 September - 6 October] - Voting.
- [14-16 September] - [New Orleans Hackathon] - New Orleans Hackathon will take place between October 14th and 16th.
- [16 September] - Hong Kong 57 meetup
- [16-25 September] - Wikipedia Takes Mittelhessen, Germany
- [17 September] - Wikipedia Takes Barcelona will be held on September 17th.
- [17 September] - Wiki Takes Amersfoot (Netherlands) will take place on September 17th.
- [17 September] - Wikipedia takes Fremantle (Australia) will be held on September 17th.
- [17 September] - Manchester meetup
- [17 September] - Berkeley Wikipedia Meetup
- [18 September] - Wikipedia Takes Andorra
- [24 September] - Wiki Takes de Zaan (Netherlands) will be held on September 24th.
- [24 September] - Wikipedia Takes Göteborg, Sweden
- [24 September] - Wikipedia Takes Porto, Portugal
- [24-25 September] - Polish Wikipedia community, supported by Wikimedia Polska, is going to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the project (founded on September 26, 2001) with a conference to be held on September 24-25, in Poznan, Poland.
- [25 September] - Wikipedia Takes Cologne, Germany
- [25 September] - Wikipedia Takes Lisbon, Portugal
- [30 September] - The last day of the project Wiki Loves Monuments for this year is September 30th.
- [1 October] - A Backstage Pass tour is an event aimed at sharing the expertise of real-world cultural institutions with our wiki-expertise. Wikimedia UK organizes it at Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, Coventry, UK.
- [1 October] - Washington DC meetup #23. Wiki DC board elections.
- Meetups are filled from Wikipedia:Meetup page at English Wikipedia. Please, add your meetup there and it will be published by Wikizine. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup)
- GLAM-related events are held on Outreach Wiki. If you add your GLAM-related event there, it will be published in Wikizine. (http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Events)
- For other events, please post them on our events page or send us email with short description of your event. (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikizine/Events)
"United we stand; divided we fall."
Aesop in "The Four Oxen and the Lion", Fables, also known as "The Lion and the Bulls"
////////////////////////////////////////// @@@@@@@@ Wikizine seeks editors @@@@@@@@@ °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° Editor(s): Millosh Corrector(s): Nathan Support: Walter Contact: http://report.wikizine.org Website: http://www.wikizine.org °°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°° @@@@@@@@@ Wikizine seeks editors @@@@@@@@ ////////////////////////////////////////// Wikizine.org makes no guarantee of accuracy, validity and especially but not limited to, correct grammar and spelling. Satisfaction is not guaranteed. Some content can be highly inspired or directly copied from other sources. Those sources are listed above at "Sources-Attributions". Wikizine.org is published by [[meta:user:Walter]]. Content is available under Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License 3.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/