The Affiliations Committee (formerly known as Chapters Committee, colloquially AffCom) is a Wikimedia community committee entrusted with advising the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on the approval of new movement affiliates: national or subnational chapters, thematic organisations and user groups.
The Committee was created on January 15, 2006, by a resolution of the Board of Trustees, along with several other Wikimedia committees. Its original mandate included coordination of the development of Wikimedia chapters—which at the time were at an early stage of organisation—, as well as facilitating communication among the chapters and between chapters and the Wikimedia Foundation.
In 2012, following a community discussion and a resulting Board of Trustees' resolution, the scope of the Committee was expanded to include thematic organisations and user groups. In accordance with the resolution, the Committee drafted its charter which was officially approved by the Board in August, finalising the transition into the Affiliations Committee.
What we do
The Affiliations Committee makes recommendations to the Board of Trustees on the recognition, approval and existence of Wikimedia movement affiliates, and for facilitating the creation of those organisations. In other words, the Committee helps Wikimedians from all around the world self-organise into chapters, thematic organisations and user groups, and to gain official recognition from the Wikimedia Foundation.
We can guide you through the founding process of your organisation by helping you to prepare bylaws, answering questions about what the Foundation expects from an affiliate, providing help and advice on solving common technical, trademark, administrative and community-building issues, and—if appropriate—by approving limited financial support for starting up your activities (such as covering the costs of registration and running initial projects).
If you're interested in getting in touch with local efforts in your area, feel free to contact us using any of the methods listed below, and we'll be happy to put you in contact with the right people.
Who we are
The Committee comprises volunteers selected for their enthusiasm and their skills in community organising, cross-cultural communication, reviewing bylaws, and providing governance advice for emerging organisations. There are currently ten voting members with terms of two years each; the terms are arranged so that half of the seats are up for election every year.
Voting members of the Committee are helped by an unspecified number of non-voting advisers, either appointed by the Board of Trustees (known as board liaisons) or by the Committee itself. Advisers provide the Committee with on-the-ground experience, language skills, and governance advice, and are able to take part in discussions on an internal wiki and a non-public mailing list.
If you'd like to be a voting member of the Committee, please leave a note on the talk page, and you'll be notified when seats become available. The next selection is scheduled for the end of 2014, with new members joining the Committee in January 2015. (New members and advisers maybe added mid-term, as well.)
|Member||Languages||Location (time zone)||Term end||Extra|
|Cynthia Ashley-Nelson||en-N||United States, North America (UTC-8/UTC-7)||December 31, 2015|
|Carlos Colina||es-N, en-5, lad-4, pt-4, de-3, he-3, ca-2, guc-2, af-2, it-2||Israel, Asia (UTC+2/UTC+3)||December 31, 2014||Vice-Chair|
|Bence Damokos||hu-N, en-3, hr-2, et-1, it-1, sr-1||Hungary, Europe (UTC+1/UTC+2)||December 31, 2014||Chair|
|Lodewijk Gelauff||nl-N, en-3, de-2, fr-1, la-1||The Netherlands, Europe (UTC+1/UTC+2)||December 31, 2015|
|Josh Lim||en-N, tl-N, es-2, zh-2, pl-2, ja-1, fr-1||Philippines, Asia (UTC+8)||December 31, 2014|
|Kirill Lokshin||en-N, ru-N, fr-2||United States, North America (UTC-5/UTC-4)||December 31, 2015|
|Salvador Alcántar Morán||es-N, en-3, de-2||Mexico, North America (UTC-6)||December 31, 2014||Treasurer (2013–)|
|Tanvir Rahman||bn-N, en-3, as-2, bpy-1||Bangladesh, Asia (UTC+6)||December 31, 2014|
|Gregory Varnum||en-N||United States, North America (UTC-5/UTC-4)||December 31, 2014|
|Galileo Vidoni||es-N, en-3, fr-2, it-2, pt-1||Argentina, South America (UTC-3)||December 31, 2015|
|Adviser||Languages||Location (time zone)||Term end||Extra|
|Maria Sefidari||es-N, en-4, fr-3, pt-1, it-1||Spain, Europe (UTC+1/UTC+2)||—||Board liaison|
|Patricio Lorente||es-N, en-3, it-1||Argentina, South America (UTC-3)||—||Board liaison|
|Vladimir Medeyko||ru-N, ?||Russia, Europe (UTC+4)||December 31, 2013|
|Delphine Ménard||fr-N, en-4, de-3, it-2, es-2||Germany, Europe (UTC+1/UTC+2)||December 31, 2013|
|Arne Klempert||de-N, en-3, fr-1||Germany, Europe (UTC+1/UTC+2)||December 31, 2013|
Certain Wikimedia Foundation staff members (Asaf Bartov and Stephen LaPorte) are also actively present on the Affiliations Committee's mailing list acting as liaisons and providing insight and advice when needed.
- Current voting members marked in green; former in light green.
- Current non-voting advisers marked in gold (yellow-orange); former non-voting advisers in light orange (peach).
- Current Board of Trustees liaisons marked in powder blue; former liaisons in sky (lighter) blue.
Wikimedia Affiliations Committee news and announcements
- 2013-11-24 Wikisource Community User Group is the newest user group to be recognized.
- 2013-11-11 Recommendation to the Board to recognise The Wikinewsie Group as a thematic organisation.
- 2013-09-17 The report of the Affiliations Committee's Wikimania meeting is now available on Meta.
- 2013-07-31 The Affiliations Committee will be holding an in-person meeting at Wikimania on 6–7 August, and will be present at the Chapters Village on 9-11 August. We encourage all Wikimania attendees to reach out to us in person. We apologize for any delay in responding to e-mails during this time as our members will be working and travelling.
- 2013-07-18 Salvador Alcántar replaces María Sefidari as the Committee's treasurer.
- 2013-07-12 Based on the Committee's advice Wikimedia Uruguay has been recognized as a Wikimedia chapter.
- 2013-05-01 The Committee's 2012 Annual Report is published.
- 2013-04-04 Approval of Esperanto kaj Libera Scio as a user group.
- The best way to contact the Committee is to write an e-mail to affcomlists.wikimedia.org; please note that the Committee might be sometimes slow in responding to e-mails, so if you don't receive a reply to your message in a reasonable time, just send us a reminder.
- You can also contact the members of the Committeee individually by clicking on their usernames in the timeline above; feel free to use our talk pages and e-mails for any questions related to chapters, thematical organisations or user groups.
- Sporadically, members of the Committee idle on the #wikimedia-chapters IRC channel on Freenode; however, contacting us on the mailing list would almost always be a better choice.