Its a big problem, when userchecker use IP check only when want to ban somebody, who doesn't like... an made it personaly and only... 220.127.116.11 15:22, 14 October 2005 (UTC)
- Yeah. That's a policy matter - see m:CheckUser. This page is a user-manual page how to use the function - David Gerard 15:57, 14 October 2005 (UTC)
A "sample" policy
If anyone interested, I translated (partialy) our huwp policy to english and linked from Talk:Proposed CheckUser Policy#My policy on huwiki, which is a talk page of a proposed policy anyway. --grin 17:05, 16 October 2005 (UTC)
Perhaps some help about the log would be useful - like who has access to it (presumably just people with checkuser status), what it displays, whether any part of it is internationalisable, and whether it's archivable (what happens when it gets really long?), etc. Angela 06:16, 19 October 2005 (UTC)
- That would be very helpful. I've recently installed CheckUser on our WIKI to more effectly block link spammers. However our PHP programers are currently very busy and I keep getting 'Unable to add log entry' error. I'm having a hard time finding documentation on troubleshooting this extension, any assistance would be appricated. GbnTechWIKI
Is it possible to check the IP of a user if the contribution was deleted by an administrator? --Marsve 06:43, 4 January 2006 (UTC)
- Sadly not, which is somewhat annoying - David Gerard 12:51, 31 January 2006 (UTC)
How can edits made prior to "one week period" be shown? I mean is it possible to know the ip for a username before that one week period? --Ask 04:37, 27 July 2006 (UTC)
- (Hoping you already solved your problem) Increment $wgRCMaxAge. See mw:Manual:$wgRCMaxAge. --18.104.22.168 22:46, 3 December 2006 (UTC)
I'm just wondering why the interface messages for this extensions (i.e. "User:", "No results") cannot be localized. Thanks for any answer. (I haven't find any more appropriated page for this question) --22.214.171.124 22:46, 3 December 2006 (UTC)
Jimbo or Anthere?
I'm a bit hesitant to jump in and make a change, because I don't know enough, but Anthere changed Help:CheckUser at English Wikipedia last night. It now no longer reads that checkuser information will not be revealed except (among other examples):
- To Jimbo Wales, his legal counsel, or his designee, when necessary for investigation of abuse complaints.
It has been changed to:
- To the chair of the Foundation, her legal counsel, or her designee, when necessary for investigation of abuse complaints.
See the diff.
The English Wikipedia page says that it's a copy of the master page at Meta (which is what brought me here). Should the Meta page be changed? I wouldn't like to start pontificating on what the policy should say, but my instinct suggests that the information about IPs could be released to either Jimbo or Anthere on request. I'm just raising the issue here, because I think that someone who knows should edit one or both of the pages so that they are the same. ElinorD 20:40, 31 March 2007 (UTC)