The Wikipedia Library
The Wikipedia Library helps editors access reliable sources to improve Wikipedia.
About the library
The Wikipedia Library is an open research hub, a place for active Wikipedia editors to gain access to the vital reliable sources that they need to do their work and to be supported in using those resources to improve the encyclopedia. We aim to make access and use of sources free, easy, collaborative and efficient.
The Wikipedia Library is run by Jake Orlowitz (User:Ocaasi) and funded by a Wikimedia Foundation Individual Engagement Grant. We operate on a community-organized satellite model: we administer the global project but work with local coordinators in local Wikipedia projects to help each community set up their own libraries.
Partner to provide free access to paywalled publications, databases, universities, and libraries
Facilitate research for Wikipedians, helping editors to find and use sources
Build relationships among our community of editors, libraries, and librarians
Connect editors with their local library and freely accessible resources
Promote broader open access in publishing and research
What we do
- Journal access
- We arrange donations of free journal access which editors can sign up for.
- Book purchases
- We help editors buy books that will help them do research.
- Visiting scholars
- We get editors university researcher staff status to access an entire online library collection.
- Source sharing
- We create resource sharing pages where editors can request a source from other editors.
- Reference desk
- We help set up reference desks for editors to ask research questions and get help and answers.
- Research tools
- We build tools that help editors do research and connect to sources
How you can get involved
- Set up a local branch
- We support your community to help build its own Wikipedia Library. Contact us!
- Become a coordinator
- We work as a cooperative team in areas of library, account, partner, reference, metrics, university, and technical management. Sign up to help.
- Donor outreach
- We want to contact lots of publishers and potential donors and need help sharing the work. We want your help.
- Read the newsletter
- Read about and stay up to date on our recent and ongoing activities.
Was dukedom large enough.
— William Shakespeare
|“||I have always imagined that
Paradise will be a kind of library.
— Jorge Luis Borges
|“||People can lose their lives in libraries.
They ought to be warned.
— Saul Bellow
|“||The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.||”|
— Albert Einstein
|You build a thousand castles, a thousand sanctuaries, you are nothing;
you build a library, you are everything!
|— Mehmet Murat ildan.|