OrphanImages doesn't seem to notice when a category page has been edited to link to a file, instead of the other way around. See for example the list of orphans of user Mcyjerry on Commons, where the MJ* files are reported as orphans even though they are linked from commons:Category:Mahjong. Is this a restriction coming from the database or...? --Para 13:01, 14 March 2006 (UTC)
- This is intentional (should be an option, though): image usage is only consiered for the main namespace. This makes sense for the commons (for which I originally wrote the tool), but on all projects, you probably want all namespaces (or all non-talk namespaces) to be considered.
- But I thinks it's OK that images linked by a category header show as orphans - the image should not be in the category header, thus it's the right thing to draw attention to it (although the term "orphan" is misleading in that case).
- I'll see if I can fiddle in an option for considering all namespaces. Thanks for your comment -- Duesentrieb 11:51, 15 March 2006 (UTC)
Too slow 
I have to say I practically never use this. I keep trying but it just takes forever to load. So I prefer to hit "Random orphan" on CommonSense. It too is quite slow but at least I can see something.
I think the 'Gallery' style output would be more useful, with fewer images per page. Being shown a list of 100 orphans is a bit confronting. Seeing maybe 16 images is more inviting, because you can immediately look at them and identify the subject.
But both tools would benefit from speeding up. Probably there is nothing we can do about that though. :| --pfctdayelise 02:46, 29 March 2006 (UTC)
- I'll look into optimizing the query and changing the interface at some point... but I have a few other things on my queue currently :) -- Duesentrieb 23:32, 29 March 2006 (UTC)
Error report 
A database error has occurred Query: SELECT img_user_text, count(img_name) as num FROM page AS I JOIN image AS G ON I.page_title = G.img_name LEFT JOIN categorylinks AS L ON (I.page_id = L.cl_from AND L.cl_to NOT IN ("GFDL", "GPL", "LGPL", "Public_domain", "PD", "PD-self", "PD-user", "PD_Old", "PD_Art", "PD_US", "PD_US_Government", "PD_NASA", "PD_US_Military", "Patents", "Russian_official_symbols", "PD_Soviet", "CC-BY-SA-2.5", "CC-BY-SA-2.1", "CC-BY-SA-2.0", "CC-BY-SA-1.0", "CC-SA-1.0", "CC-BY-1.0", "CC-BY-2.0", "CC-BY-2.5", "BSD_images", "Copyrighted_free_use", "Copyrighted_free_use_provided_that", "Self-published_work", "Unknown", "Own_work", "Incomplete_license", "Unknown")) LEFT JOIN ( imagelinks AS P JOIN page as A ON A.page_id = P.il_from AND A.page_namespace = 0 ) ON I.page_title = P.il_to WHERE I.page_namespace = 6 AND L.cl_from IS NULL AND P.il_to IS NULL GROUP BY img_user_text ORDER BY 'num' DESC LIMIT 0, 100 Function: Error: 1053 Server shutdown in progress (sql) Backtrace: * GlobalFunctions.php line 652 calls wfBacktrace() * Database.php line 473 calls wfDebugDieBacktrace() * Database.php line 419 calls Database::reportQueryError() * WikiQuery.php line 321 calls Database::query() * WikiQuery.php line 759 calls WikiQuery::printData() * OrphanImages.php line 174 calls WikiQuery::printPage()
I get the same error doing untagged images on en (although I know it's broken there).
- You get this error if the query takes too long. For some tools, the english Wikipedia is simply too big (or, to put it the other way, some tools are not efficient enough to deal with the english wikipedia). Sorry. -- Duesentrieb 13:17, 29 May 2006 (UTC)
Number of images ? 
Hi, would it be possible on the tool to show the number of orphanimages ? It would be intersting to see the progression when you're deleting many files at a time :) Thanks in advance. Tipiac (fr.wp)
- finding out the total number would take as long as listing them all... too long, generally. sorry. -- Duesentrieb 19:32, 13 July 2006 (UTC)
orphan vs. verwaist 
- Weil mein Tool kategorisierte Bilder nicht als verwaist zählt, denke ich. Dabei weden Lizenzkategorien eigentlich ignoriert, praktische funktioniert das aber nur für Commons so richtig. Ich muss das TOol mal überarbeiten. -- Duesentrieb 08:18, 31 July 2006 (UTC)
- Mußte ich auch gerade feststellen. Ich lade viele Logos in die deutsche Wikipedia hoch; einige davon werden noch nicht benötigt. Da wäre das Tool wirklich gut zu gebrauchen. Da die Logos aber alle in Kategorie:Bild-Logo landen, klappt das nicht. Wäre toll, wenn du das Tool mal überarbeiten könntest.
Übrigens zeigt die "Gallery" wunderbar die Orphans an - da fehlt nur noch ein Filter für "Orphans" und die Sache ist perfekt. --19:27, 8 January 2007 (UTC) de:Benutzer:afrank99
Orphan + Untagged 
Hi! Could you please crossreference the Orphanimages lists created with the untagged images lists, in order to create a list of orphaned images without licence tags. A delete link next to them would be übercool :). Regards --Dami 21:35, 25 November 2006 (UTC)
Could you publish the source of this script please? I didn't see it at http://tools.wikimedia.de/~daniel/downloads/ . You could just give me the code individually if you don't want to publish it yet for some reason. This would be valuable for another bot/project that could use this. I'm concerned that it may not be able to generate a list for the en.wiki since there are over 100,000 orphaned images. Thank you for any information. --MECU 20:27, 21 January 2007 (UTC)
- It's in the WikiSense-web bundle. You can browse the code online here: http://tools.wikimedia.de/~daniel/rawview/rawview.php/WikiSense-trunk -- Duesentrieb 22:06, 21 January 2007 (UTC)
Flickr categories 
- Currently, the list of categories to ignore is hardcoded - I have added the flickr category for now.
- I'll look into making this smarter, so categories under Image_sources and Copyright_statuses are ignored automatically. -- Duesentrieb 21:00, 4 March 2007 (UTC)
sql error 
Database Error: User 'daniel_www' has exceeded the 'max_user_connections' resource (current value: 30) (zedler.ts-local)
I hope the cause is not my rather frequent usage today of this tool.
TeunSpaans 18:39, 5 June 2007 (UTC)
orphan detection overlooks use in en.wikipedia 
I don't understand why all my images are listed as orphans. They are in fat linked to articles (in the English wikipedia). Could you explain that to me on my discussion page? The only reason I upload them to commons instead of the English wikipedia is to make them usable from all wikipedias. I thought that's the point of commons. That's why I am surprised that the bot does not look for links on en.wikipedia and the other languages.
Hope to hear from you, -- commons:User:Jasu 15:15, 27 October 2007 (UTC)
- I, too, am troubled by this. Virtually all of the images I have uploaded to commons are in use on en.wikipedia, and I think that all of them show here as orphans. Since a few of them may, truly, be orphans, I would grateful for a way to sort these out. Thanks commons:User:Tim Ross12:34, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
Orphan detection does not "overlook" projects, it does not consider anything outside commons (use CheckUsage for that). The point is that all images must be placed in a gallery or topic category on commons because otherwise, they are useless, because nobody can find them. -- Duesentrieb 15:11, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
Orphan Images of a group of persons 
Hi, I'm a French user of w:fr:: Otourly. I'm a member of a project, and I use currently a tool for following categories on Commons. But there is a limit of this tool because if the images are orphans, we can't see them with SuiviCat! Instead of checking if any users of the project haven't any orphans images (If they have forgotten to add a category for example), could your tool be adapted for a list of preselected persons? Could you prevent me of your response here or here? Cordialement, Otourly 184.108.40.206 13:28, 18 May 2008 (UTC)
Orphan Images 
Hi, Bonjour, Grüss Gott etc.., I am a French user, and your tool keeps identifying my images as orphans, whereas I always created them to fill voids in articles belonging to the French Wikipedia. If you could be so kind and answer on my page. With my best regards, Hochachtungsvoll, etc...LEMEN 15:18, 25 July 2011 (UTC)