Amical Wikimedia (sometimes shortened as Amical - amical means friends of in Catalan) is a non-profit organitzation which has been proposed as Thematic Organization whose focus of interest is the Catalan language and culture. Its primary mission and goal is that the sum of all human knowledge will be also available in Catalan and that all knowledge about Catalan culture will be also available in every language.
Amical has 69 members (May 2013).
Background and history 
The Associació Amical Viquipèdia was founded in 2008. Since then, several attempts were made to propose it to be recognized by the WMF as an Movement Affiliate organization. The first proposal of Wikimedia CAT wanted to establish a Wikimedia Local Chapter in the Catalan-speaking territories. This proposal did not receive the favorable recommendation of ChapCom because it was occupying a territory that encompassed several sovereign states and overlapped with already existing Chapters. Second proposal was about configuring Wikimedia CAT as a Local National Sub Chapter reducing the territory only to Spain's Catalan speaking regions. This alternative aimed and asked for comments from members of the Board of WMF but only got clear support from Jimmy Wales. The last proposal (2013) adapts to the new model approved by WMF Board, called Thematic Organization.
During those 5 years of existence without the explicit recognition from the WMF, the people supporting it have been working hard to promote and support the Wikimedia projects in Catalan. Links to monthly reports can be found below.
The organization has been legally incorporated as a non-profit in Catalonia (2009). Amical Wikimedia (former Amical Viquipèdia) and the community of editors of Catalan Wikipedia took a formal decision establishing links with Amical (4/2010). Amical has also been recognised in the Census of organizations for the promotion of the Catalan language by the Catalan Government since 2011.
Scope, focus of interest and mission 
- Amical Wikimedia's focus of interest is the Catalan language and culture.
- Amical Wikimedia's primary mission and goal is that the sum of all human knowledge will be also available in Catalan and that all knowledge about Catalan culture will be also available in every language.
Catalan language is spoken in Catalunya (Catalonia), País Valencià (Valencian Country), Illes Balears (Balearic Islands), Catalunya Nord (Northern Catalonia), Aragó (La Franja), Andorra and Italy (L'Alguer). It has around 10 millions speakers, however, it is not recognized by the European Union as an official language despite the fact that it has more speakers than, for example, Slovak (7M), Lithuanian (3.2M) or Maltese (0.5M), amongst others.
Territorial overlap with national chapters 
The territory of activity of the organization is everywhere in the world where there are volunteers willing to work to achieve Amical's mission. Amical will keep informed other Wikimedia organizations active in same territories about the projects and activities to be done in these areas, seeking collaboration with them.
Becoming a member 
Any individual can become a member of Amical. To become a member, simply fill out and submit the online form in Amical's website.
Individuals or organizations who want to support Amical Wikimedia can also become "collaborator members". However, voting rights are limited to full right members. Collaborator membership benefits are the following:
- Member name on the Amical Wikimedia web page
- Updates and extended information of the activities
- Access to the members' wiki website and mail list
Please contact our membership team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about becoming a member of Amical Wikimedia.
The board of Amical Wikimedia is composed of the following people:
- Definició del pla estratègic d'Amical (Català)
- Members and supporters who signed for the creation of a Wikimedia CAT chapter
- I strongly support the creation of Wikimedia CAT, for the same reasons and in the same way that I support the creation of sub-national chapters in a variety of contexts where local conditions make it sensible to do so. I say this as a personal opinion of one board member. --Jimbo Wales 14:32, 14 November 2010 (UTC)
- Official EU languages