The Wikimedia CAT (Catalan language & culture Wikimedia) proposal has evolved over time. The current wording adapts the recent proposal to the new model lately approved by WMF Board, called "Thematic Wikimedia Organization".
This proposal has lasted for 4 years and meanwhile the people supporting it have been working to promote and support the projects. It has been incorporated as a non-profit: Amical Viquipèdia and the community of editors of Catalan Wikipedia took a formal decision establishing links with Amical.
Now Wikimedia CAT is the proposal of Amical Viquipèdia to become a recognized Thematic Wikimedia Organization.
Focus of interest, Mission 
- Its focus of interest is the Catalan language and culture.
- Its primary mission and goal is that the sum of all human knowledge will be also available in Catalan and that all knowledge about Catalan culture will be also available in every language.
Scope and territorial overlap with national chapters 
- The territory of activity is everywhere in the world where there are volunteers willing to work to achieve Amical's mission.
- Initially the organization will be placed in Barcelona but people from around the world can join.
- Amical will gradually incorporate offices or delegations in different other parts of the world. Amical will keep informed other Wikimedia Organizations active in same territories about the projects and activities to be done in these areas, seeking collaboration with them.
Our members 
Amical Viquipèdia is an association, brought together since 2008 the work of volunteers and sponsors of this initiative without the explicit recognition of the WMF. Its General Assembly has agreed to authorize the board of Amical to apply for the creation of a Wikimedia CAT Thematic Wikimedia Organization related to Catalan language and culture. 
Currently Amical Viquipèdia has 66 members.
Catalan Wikipedia Editors 
This proposal of creation of a recognized entity by the WMF is not only supported by Amical members, but also from a broad community of editors from all the existing Wikimedia projects with a Catalan version. Wikimedia editors who support this initiative have a “Wikimedia CAT support badge” at their userpage to identify themselves. At this moment there are 375 userpages with this badge.
Global languages Wikipedia and sister projects Editors 
Users of Wikimedia projects from all around the world and from several languages have been giving support to the creation of a Wikimedia CAT during last 3 years. There is a meta page with 641 users signing, showing their support to the project and 1 user being opposed.
Supports form relevant organizations in the field of language and culture 
Amical also has several signed letters from cultural institutions supporting the Wikimedia CAT proposal:
- Fundació punt cat. Member of Generic Top Level Domain (gTLD) Registries Constituency, Council of European National Top-level Domain Registries and Latin American and Caribbean TLD Association (LACTLD). (letter of support ).
- CIEMEN (Centre Internacional Escarré per a les Minories Ètniques i les Nacions). World Social Forum International Council Permanent member , de l'European Bureau for Lesser Ussed Languages and Mercator Network. (letter of support ).
- ubuntu Catalan LoCo Team, one of Ubuntu Local Community Teams.(letter of support )
- ACPC (Associació Catalana de la Premsa Comarcal). member of WAN-IFRA. (letter of support ).
- Consell Nacional de la Joventut de Catalunya (National Youth Council of Catalonia). member of Youth Forum Jeunesse, the council is formed by 95 youth organitzations.(letter of support).
- Institut d'Estudis Catalans. Member of Union Académique Internationale,also its subsidiary institutions are also members of various international institutions (refered at subsidiary institutions).(letter of support).
- Clube Brasileiro-Catalão de Negócios (Brasil). (letter of support)
- Casal Català de Quito (Equador). (letter of support)
- Centre Català Asunción-Paraguai (Paraguai). (letter of support)
- Centre UNESCO de Catalunya. (letter of support)
- Associació Catalana de Comunicació Científica . Member of World Federation of Science Journalists , European Union of Science Journalist's Associations. (letter of support)
The board of the Association Amical Viquipèdia is composed of the following people:
|Joan R. Gomà||Gomà||President|
|Carles P. Lanau||KRLS||Member|
|Montxo V. Sempere||Martorell||Member|
Notes and Comments 
- The first proposal of Wikimedia CAT wanted to establish a Wikimedia Local Chapter in the Catalan-speaking territories. This proposal did not receive the favorable recommendation of ChapCom because it was occupying a territory that encompassed several sovereign states and overlaped with already existing Chapters. Second proposal was about configuring Wikimedia CAT as a Local National Sub Chapter reducing the territory only to Spain's Catalan speaking regions. This alternative aimed and asked for comments from members of the Board of WMF but only got clear support from Jimmy Wales. Since then, Amical Viquipèdia has tried their best to fit into some of the new models that the Wikimedia Foundation Movements roles commitee has been thinking about during lasts months.
- General Assembly resolution approves authorizing the board to apply for the model then called Partner Organization that finally is named Thematic Wikimedia Organization.
- At the category wikipedians supporting Wikimedia CAT in Catalan Wikipedia there are 386 pages but 2 of them are not user pages.
See also 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: