Wikivoyage holds monthly summits, where ambassadors from each language version can come together to report and discuss interesting news in their communities with the broader Wikivoyage community. The goal is to promote interlingual coordination and cooperation, and to more generally foster a spirit of cross-wiki community and shared endeavor.
Reports should include information such as major accomplishments, features being developed or implemented, features being discussed, technical issues, events, and examples of exceptional work being done.
Sorry for the long absence from this page, but I've been busy outside voy for several reason, so I've limited my time on it:voy only.
That said, let me give an update on the themes discussed on the Italian report of the previous summit plus some relevant news.
- What has been done
- Finally after a big effort we have completely eliminated, not only from the aritcle titles, but also from the "red link" all the article names that weren't in a wiki-format, i.e. they were father-article/article-name instead of directly article-name like each wiki. This anomaly was born on WT for each article and partially rectified on regions/cities but unreasonably keept for districts.
- Dynamic map has been successfully implemented, although we are working to customize the mechanism according to the it:voy standards.
- Lombardia (it's an Italian region for those who doesn't know) has been used as a pilot, to define & design the new touristic territories in order to better describe it. Once finished the basic assesment of all the related articles, we'll proceed with the same approach on the other Italian regions.
- Completed the reclassification of the existing articles related to island that in the past have been wrongly described through QuickbarCity instead of QuickbarRegion.
- Celebrate the 1st voy birthday as most of other linguistic version has done. Honestly we have celebrated the whole "birthweek" :-) because a big crowd has arrived to greet us (80% editors-20% vandals .... but at the end they come ;-)) During this period we have achived some relevant goals that I would share with you:
- Active users have been tripled ... although I would expect a decrease on Feb/Mar
- I've done my best to retain as much users as possible. Let's see the result... A remind for all, me included: a "yes but" instead of a "no" is a much more better approach with people...
- Increase of monthly page view by +21% ...I expect here as well a decrease on Feb (cross fingers :-))
- The country that access more to Wikivoyage is Italy with ~16%
- The ranking of it:voy in Italy is 3.500/3.400 (as a comparison the ranking of the whole voy in the world is 22.000/23.000)
- I tend to think that the painfull decision to point to quality (deleting hundreds and hundres of empty articles/categories) and to uniform (where it makes sense) to the others wiki has been the right choice.
- What's going on
- Keep on importing of the best it:wt article currently missing on it:voy applying the credit approach expressed previously. This activity proceed with a slow rhythm, but each imported article increase significantly the overall quality. Clearly a well done job it's very far from being a copy and paste...
- Less than 250 articles miss the Quickfooter. This activity must be completed in order to not give any bad example to any editor.
- Tuning of the Lombard articles with particular reference of the Quickfooter (due to the new areas) and increasing their quality (it:voy is "against" empty articles).
- What's next
- Cleaning is still the top priority because there's a lot of work that must be done in order to harmonized the content of the various articles.
- Policy and template manual implementation: slow progress on this point.
- Implement Dependences Quickbar to better describe the toponym in the article. ...hopefully this should be the last one to describe all the articles.
- Quality ranking system. Potentially it's one of the next upgrade that we would "resurrect" in it:voy. A system already exists, but it's obsolete and it has been wrongly used in the past; so we have to rethink it. In order to speed it up we'll use almost for sure one of the existing system in one of the other language version of voy. Some of those are very discreet and nice.
- Plain listing conversion into template listing. Currently I'm classifying it as a vision because it's something too big for our current community effort to be started soon. It seems that the en:voy tool won't be used on it:voy so it would slow down further this point.