Funding and planning support to host local, regional or thematic Wikimedia conferences.
Quick support for individuals, groups, and organizations under USD 2,000.
Comprehensive project support for individuals, groups, and organizations over USD 2,000.
Funding the annual budgets and mission objectives of mission-allied groups and organizations.
- Development of prospective projects, programs and leaders - We work with prospective grant applicants, emerging movement leaders, and other organizations to develop ideas, network within the WMF and the broader movement to identify potential grantees, and provide support for achieving and measuring impact through program work.
- Grantee support and mentorship - We work closely with applicants and grantees throughout the grants process. This includes giving early input on proposal drafts or ideas, posting assessments and decisions about each request, meeting with grantees on a regular or as-needed basis to provide advice and support, and reviewing grant reports. In 2014/15, we handled 1,390 funding requests.
Facilitate community representation in movement decisions through committees
We work with 5 grants committees (FDC, IEGCom, GAC, TPS and Wikimania Scholarship Committee). These 70+ people make or inform recommendations or decisions, or perform specific community functions. Our work with them includes:
- Committee recruitment and training - We recruit candidates for 3 committees (FDC, IEGCom and GAC). We also oversee orientation and training for new committee members, which may involve in-person trainings or online modules.
- Supporting participatory decision-making for grants - We work with committees to ensure their review of applications and make recommendations or decisions. We design and steward the process and timelines to support effective action from volunteer groups, create and coordinate inputs to committee decision-making, facilitate discussions to make recommendations, and regularly share relevant updates and information about grantees and WMF.
Support communities and affiliates in growing their capacities
Key areas of capacity development we focus on include:
- Relationship-building and mentorship in emerging communities - We are developing a framework for emerging communities to grow their capacities. We stay informed of developments in emerging communities and support their healthy growth and capacity building.
- Supporting Wikimedia organizations through grants - We support Wikimedia organizations, including chapters, user groups, and thematic organizations, through grants, and connect them with resources to build their capacities to support Wikimedia communities.
Senior Program Officer, Organizations
Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities
- Inspire campaign
- Community Resources on Phabricator
- Team goals and quarterly results
- Grants spending analysis
- 2016-17 Annual Plan