Fulfulde Wikimedians is an unrecognized group of Wikimedia volunteers who work on several wiki projects related to Fulfulde culture and language across the world. It is founded by active contributors of Fulfulde-speaking community of Wikimedia projects. It aims to increase the number of quality content in Fulfulde. Wikimedians of Fulfulde Wikimedians Community User Group are devoted to work for the Wikimedia (Free Knowledge) movement in Fulfulde language also known as Peul. Membership to this group is open to all interested individuals.
Although Fulfulde Wikipedia exists for a decade and half, there were no active contributors/editors that handle its activities. It passed through those years suffering from both absence of viewers (readers) and also the volunteers (editors) who will be contributing contents to it. Late in the year 2021, Musaddam Idriss, a long time experienced editor and a native of Fulfulde started reviving the virtue of Fulfulde Wikipedia by contributing massively on it. Early in the year 2022, he organized the first ever project in corresponding to Fulfulde language and Fulfulde Wikipedia where he recruited dozens of Fulfulde editors and build the first community of Fulfulde Volunteers in Yobe State, Nigeria. Later, Musaddam together with those recruited editors made an impressive move that was admired by all the Wikimedia Communities through a project named Fulfulde Wikipedia Articles Cleanup and Editathon. Since then, the Fulfulde Wikipedia keep witnessing rapid growth on both sides of contents creation and contributors. hence, this brought the rising need to founded a central and coordinated body where the activities and matters associated with the Fulfulde Wikipedia editors can be addressed. Musaddam, therefore, founded the group and invites all the other editors to join.
- Disseminating the ideas of Wikimedia Movement;
- Promote and encourage use of Fulfulde on all Wikimedia projects;
- Introducing Wikipedia and sister projects to more Fulfulde people;
- Recruiting people to become contributors (obtaining more community members);
- Helping on cooperation and maintaining the community standards;
- Spread and promote the idea of being a Wikian among the Fulfulde people through online activities and physical outreach in schools, communities, institutions, libraries and more;
- Organizing members online and physical meetings;
- Helping the growth and development of other Fulfude-based Wikimedia projects.
- Regular meetings (online and in person): the community of this user group will be organizing regular meet-ups for its members in order to share ideas and to ﬁnd ways to support them to continue editing the Wikimedia projects in areas where they would need help. Such meetings will help the community to work in a more coordinated way and also help to quickly deal with any problems that may exist in the community. At these meetings, the community sets goals and plans various activities.
- Editing contests and thematic weeks: the group will be organizing editing contests to encourage existing regular editors to keep editing Wikimedia projects and also encourage non-members/users to join.
- Training Workshops/Editathons: to help new Wikipedians learn editing techniques, to create, translate and improve content in all Wikimedia projects or work on and develop a certain topic which will in return promote the project.
- Photowalk Trips and Contests: the group will also organize trips and contests to encourage users to upload and document ﬁles to commons which will be used in all Wikimedia projects.
- Cooperation: as Fulfulde Wikimedia UG, it is part of our main goals to cooperate with various organizations (institutions, NGOs & etc.) and government structures in conducting joint projects. The Fulfulde UG thinks cooperating with everyone for the development of Wikimedia projects in Fulfulde is very important.
- Lectures: at various educational institutes and organizations are an important part of our work, since such events give us the opportunity to familiarize the public with Wikimedia projects and its importance. At such events, we also talk about the importance of free knowledge and its promotion on a free platform under a free license.
- WikiCamps: are educational camps, the main goal of which is the education of participants through Wikipedia, Wikiquote, Commons and other Wikimedia projects. During WikiCamps young people acquire skills in Wikimedia projects. The main goal of the camp, to attract more young people (and not only) to work in Wikimedia projects.
- Conference: is annual forum dedicated to the development of Wikimedia projects in Fulfulde, as well as issues related to knowledge creation and dissemination.
Planned Activities and Projects
Following are the activities we will carry out in the next few months:
- We plan to organize a thematic weeks/editathons starting from January - February 2023
- We plan to organize Wiki Loves Africa 2023: themed "Climate and Weather" Photo Contest locally from March - April 2023
- We plan to organize editing contests to increase the momentum of article creation in Fulfulde by providing a morale boost in the form of prizes for winners and runner-ups, as well as encourage prospective members to join from June - July 2023
- We plan to organize in-person local meet ups/satellite events for the Wikimania 2023 starting August 2023.
- We plan to organize local contest during the 2023 edition of the Art+Feminism Campaign (date to be updated)
- We plan to organize local Wikipedia Pages Wanting Photos (WPWP) Contests in the year 2023.
- We plan to organize Wiki Loves Folklore 2023
Past and Recent Activities
- Community Members Physical Meetup to Generate 2000 Fulfulde Recorded Words and Lexemes on Commons and Wikidata 27th August 2022
- Fulfulde Wikipedia Articles Cleanup and Edit-a-thon 13th July 2022
1. Primary Contact: Musaddam Idriss -
2. Secondary Contact: Ibrahim442 - [[File:Antu evolution.svg|50px|link=mailto: ibrahimidriss
Social Media: Click on any of the icons below to navigate to our social media platforms.