Grantmaking and Programs
The Wikimedia Foundation Grantmaking Department encompasses four grant programs as well as the Wikipedia Education Program and Learning and Evaluation. We make grants to individuals, groups and organizations working on building community and growing content on Wikimedia-related projects and sites — Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, WikiSource, Wiktionary and other sister projects — as well as related open knowledge projects.
|The Grantmaking team increases the quantity, quality, diversity, and reach of free knowledge by supporting mission-allied organizations and people around the world.|
We want to empower our grant recipients and other community members to,
- plan and execute effective and innovative initiatives focused on Wikimedia projects
- share ideas, strategies and innovations with the wider movement
- have strong and effective governance, including fiscal accountability
- increase and diversify participation in free knowledge within their communities.
We do this through,
- providing guidance during the application process
- distributing funds
- enabling capacity building
- developing frameworks for learning, evaluation and impact
- building relationships with potential partners and allies.
Anasuya Sengupta, Senior Director of Grantmaking
Head of Individual Engagement Grants
Head of Wikimedia Grants Program and Global South Partnerships
Senior Program Officer, FDC
Program Officer, Project and Event Grants
We provide guidance and support to grantees and applicants while they are developing their ideas, throughout the application process, when they receive their grants, while they are doing their projects, and after projects are complete; we lead or support decision-making processes for grants, including supporting our grants committees in our community-led decision-making processes; and we build relationships with potential partners and allies.
Wikipedia Education Program
See also: Education portal
The idea behind the Wikipedia Education Program is simple: educators and students around the world contribute to Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects in an academic setting. The team works with program leaders and Wikipedia education champions to develop volunteer capacity and share best practices with the community.
Learning and evaluation
See also: Learning & Evaluation portal
Program Evaluation Specialist
Program Evaluation Associate
The Learning & Evaluation Team (L&E), which includes Program Evaluation & Design, is responsible for evaluating grant-funded projects as well as other movement programs, including those funded by grants. L&E helps monitor the impact of the work being done across the movement, and guides other Grantmaking teams in executing effective grants through ongoing analysis, learning and evaluation support. Specifically, they are helping answer the questions:
- how can movement partners be best poised to achieve impact?
- what can WMF Grantmaking provide to our partners to achieve impact?