Grants:Project/Sarmad Yaseen/Initialization project for Iraq user group
This project is funded by a Project Grant
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Starting the activity of Iraqi User Group
What is your solution?
- Educational workshop for students and volunteers.
- Educational trips for free photos.
- Social media outreach to attract more volunteers.
Explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. attracting new volunteers, increasing the Arabic and Kurdish articles, adding new photos to commons and distributing the cultures of Wikipedia in Iraq.
- User group meetups to coordinate the different efforts.
- Launching the first version of Wikipedia Education Program.
- Doing workshops to teach new volunteers.
- Arranging Editathons.
- Arranging WLM & WLE competitions.
- Arranging 2 trips to take photos of Iraq Monuments.
1. WLM & WLE trips: 2 trip in Erbil + 1 trip in Baghdad (20 person in each trip);
- Bus rental: 150$ per each tip, 450$ the total for all 3 trips.
- Refreshments for participants (For the trip): 4$ per person, 80$ per trip, 240$ the total for all 3 trips.
- Refreshments for participants (For the Photography editing workshop): 5$ per person, 100$ per trip, 300$ the total for all 3 trips.
- 1st Prize: 200$ per Competition, 400$ the total for WLE & WLM.
- 2nd Prize: 150$ per Competition, 300$ the total for WLE & WLM.
- 3rdPrize: 100$ per Competition, 200$ the total for WLE & WLM.
The total amount for WLM & WLE trips will be 1890$
2.User group coordination: 2 meetings in Erbil + 2 meetings in Baghdad (10 person in each);
- Regular meetups (Dinner): 15$ per person, 150$ per meeting, 600$ the total for all 4 meetings.
The total amount for User group coordination will be 600$
3. Education Program (Phase 1): 1 in Erbil + 1 in Sullaimaniya + 1 in Baghdad (25 person in each Workshop);
- Internet access subscription: 10$ per person, 250$ per workshop, 750$ the total for all 3 workshops.
- Refreshments for participants: 5$ per person, 125$ per workshop, 375$ the total for all 3 workshops.
- Certificates (Will distribute in the Ceremony): 2$ per person, 150$ the total for all 3 workshops.
- Refreshments for participants (for Ceremony event): 5$ per person, 125$ per workshop, 375$ the total for all 3 workshops.
The total amount for Education Program (Phase 1) will be 1650$
4. Workshops for new volunteer: 2 workshops in Erbil + 2 workshops in Baghdad, 15 person in each workshop;
- Food for the attendees: 10$ per person, 150$ per workshop, 600$ the total for all 4 workshops.
The total amount for Workshops for new volunteer) will be 600$
5. Edit-a-thons: 1 workshop in Erbil + 1 workshop1 in Baghdad, 15 person in each workshop;
- Refreshments for participants: 15$ per person, 225$ per workshop, 450$ the total for all 2 workshops.
The total amount for Edit-a-thons Workshops will be 450$
6. Logistics: As per the committee recommendation the logistics will be limited to below:
- Printing (T-Shirts &/or Pint, pens,... etc) will be spent as priority decided by the user group.
The total is 500$.
- Advertising (Online Ads &/Or poster, flyers, ... etc) will be spent as priority decided by the user group.
The Total is 400$. The total Grant requested money is: 6,090 USD
- We have an official FB account to announce all our activities.
- We put a small part of the budget to do online and offline advertising.
- Through the partnerships with the universities and telecom companies.
- لإhis grant is so much connected to the previous grant, as the user group in first place was created by the help of the new editors recruited by the funded workshops. And now it's planned that they will manage all the activities mentioned in this grant application
We will be acquiring a strong base for the user group in Iraq. We will continue WEP as well as the competitions as more volunteers will be trained we will be able to expand the projects to new levels and even launching new projects in Iraq such as GLAM.
Measures of success
- Decreasing the gender gap in Wikipedia volunteers.
- Adding 1200 photos.
- Adding 1000 Articles.
- Creating new 150 accounts.
- Nominating 10 featured articles.
- Nominating 15 photos.
- Having new 65 active editors in six months.
- Spreading the new Wiki culture in Iraq.
1. User:Ravan 2. User:Mahmoudalrawi
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- I do think this proposal is very bold in the wiki sense of the word. --Kritzolina (talk) 15:54, 17 October 2016 (UTC)
- Support I think the proposal would also benefit, if an advisor from a recently founded user group could advise. It is always good to know what works and what doesn't work. - The people that attend these user group meetings should also be asked to sign up as members and pay membership fees. I do think that even a low amount of money gets you a little more "invested", as one says in English. It also helps the user group to be more financially independent in the future. Tobias1984 (talk) 12:32, 26 October 2016 (UTC)
- Support Could be a good beginning. Even when I think, that the prices are a bit high levelled for this area. --Hubertl (talk) 17:28, 30 November 2016 (UTC)
- Support --J. Ansari Talk 15:37, 26 August 2018 (UTC)