Grants:Project/Rapid/ Western North Carolina's Holocaust History Expansion Edit-a-thon
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went? We believe we met all our goals of this and were extremely happy with the turnout content created. Our goals for this event were: Recruit new editors, Increase skills for existing editors, and Add or improve content.
The only goal we did not meet was improving the skills of existing editors, and other than the organizers, most if not all attendees had never edited Wikipedia so we were unable to achieve this goal.
Please report on your original project targets.
- Number of events 1
- Number of participants 50
- Number of new editors 50
- Number of articles created or improved 1-10
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 1-10
- 2 Articles Created
- 13 Articles Edited
- 105 Total Edits
- 30 Editors
- 5.54K Words Added
- 51.1K Article Views
- 0 Commons Uploads
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|50 Editors||35 editors (5 not included in the metrics)||We had 38 people attend, some choose to not edit, or edited after tracking for the event had completed.|
|New editors 50||New ditors 35||everyone was a new editors|
|New articles created or edited 1-10||New articles created or edited 15||It should be noted, that some articles were rejected, some are still pending, and some other edits were done outside of the collection period. We exceeded our goals on this edit-a-thon|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- What did not work so well?
- What would you do differently next time?
1. We really had a great team helping manage the event. The students and administrators actually seemed to enjoy the edit-a-thon. I've already heard positive feedback on this project, and I have been asked to speak to our greater department about this event and promote future events with collaboration with our Administrators who attended.
2. The promotion of the event was the biggest issue I personally had. The PR staff at my university (AB-Tech), although publicized the event with a facebook page and email blast, it came 2 days before the event as there was some interest but they could not join at such late notice. I had provided them all the details on info to share almost 2 weeks earlier, but they simply dropped the ball until the last second. Another issue was that our featured guest (Dr. Walter Ziffer, a Holocaust Survivor) had an unexpected doctors appointment and was unable to make it, however as he in 91 this was not that much of an issue.
Another Challenge I faced was that I felt overwhelmed during the project. I, fortunately, had some family members assisting me and the gracious assistance of frankcjones for catering and assistance in the event. I could have really used a 2nd editor to help me, as there was a fantastic turnout, but if any more people actually attended, we would have been overwhelmed.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
We were lucky enough to come under budget overall for this event.
To meet the budget for travel, we only had one Wikipedian travel to this event as hotel prices have spiked recently due to high rates of tourism for the event weekend and had to find a hotel outside of the Asheville area as prices reached over $200 a night.
1. Catering 772.93 + Drinks/snacks/plates/cups/forks (supplies etc) 26.68 = Paid by me $799.61
2. Travel expenditures for Frank Jones to travel to the Wikipedia event: 647 miles round trip from his house to the hotel, to and from the event site and the return home trip * $0.545 per mile = $352.62 hotel/accommodations = $270.29 The total expenditure of Frank Jones = $622.91
Total Expenditure of the Event: $1462.52 Funds to be reimbursed to Wikimedia for the event coming under budget: $537.48
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Funds to be reimbursed to Wikimedia for the event coming under budget: $537.48
Anything else you want to share about your project?
There was a lot of interest in from my department head as well as other Admins at our school in hosting an event in the future on this and possibly making this more of a regular event. I hope to make this more regular edit-a-thon and keep our momentoum going with the help of all of you who provided funds to make this possible. Thanks for everything guys! It was a blast Kayz911 (talk) 22:14, 1 December 2018 (UTC) Some pictures are included: