Grants:Project/Rapid/capacityXchange/cXc2021

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
statusfunded
Greetings from the year 2030.png
cXc2021
an implementation grant for support of some of the Translation work and Volunteers involved in the Capacity Exchange project
targetdirectly audience of Meta, but inderectly all Wikimedia
start dateSeptember 1st 15 October
start year2021
end dateDecember 31st 15 January
end year2021 2022
budget (local currency)there is no local currency as it is spread across, WCI is fiscal sponsor
budget (USD)2000 USD
grant typegroup
contact(s)• wikimediaireland@gmail.com• nicola.zeuner@wikimedia.de
organization (if applicable)• WCI for The Capacity Exchange
join
endorse

Applications are not required to be in English. Please complete the application in your preferred language.

Project Goal[edit]

Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.

  1. Encourage more diverse community participation at this early stage
  2. Develop documentation about draft plan

Project Plan[edit]

Activities[edit]

  1. What movement strategy initiative will your implementation work focus on? Please select one of the initiatives described here.
    Recommendation 6. Skill and leadership development, addressing three initiatives 31-33.
  2. What community or communities will be involved in this movement strategy implementation work?
    Primarily European Wikimedians (not exclusively), both staff of affiliates, as well as volunteer editors and community organizers. We want to focus on small and emerging communities and create a product that can eventually be scaled movement-wide.
  1. Do you have any specific implementation ideas to support this initiative? Are you aware of any specific ideas in your community? If so, please briefly describe 1-2 of these ideas here.
    We are adapting an existing open knowledge platform (OER Worldmap) for use within the Wikimedia ecosystem. It will enable people in the movement to find each other and exchange skills, resources and services.
    Aggregated data form the platform will enable the administrators to identify unmet capacity needs in the Wikimedia communities and follow up with capacity building services beyond peer2peer support.
    We coordinate with Wikimedia Argentina, that is leading on somewhat similar agenda, but focuses on female and LGBTI+ representation as well as their region and Spanish-Portugese language.
  1. Please describe your specific activities below to develop a draft implementation plan. What will you do to support your goals to implement this initiative from movement strategy? If possible, please provide a general timeline for these activities. When will they begin and how long will your activities take?
    We have started drafting an implementation plan and budget in meetings of the CapXchange group, and will keep doing this on a bi-weekly basis in next months following approval of this grant, until end of 2021. We want to go live with an MVP of the adapted platform in Q4 of 2021. After receiving input from users from our target communities, the project can go into the next phase, with more features, curation of content and data analysis.
  1. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal?
    You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
    We will inform Wikimedia Community Ireland via affiliate communication channels.
    We will present at Wikimania 2021.
    We will conduct outreach through on and off-wiki channels once the MVP is launched.
    We have a page on Meta.
  1. How will you keep your community updated about progress and outcomes for these activities? Who will be responsible for communicating these updates? Please add the names or usernames of these individuals below.
    We have presented on this proposal at the two European Collaboration meetings this year, in February and June. The work group was formed after the February meeting. We report back to the European Group, as well as to our respective communities, once the site gets launched.
    For example: User:I JethroBT
    Nikki Zeuner, Jan-Bart de Vreede, Rebecca O'Neill, Łukasz Garczewski, Mel Ganus and Z. Blace are currently part of this team.
  1. If you are translating any materials, in what languages will you be supporting translation? Who will be responsible for doing the translations? If not, please write N/A.
    We plan to diversify options by including at least one Slavic, Romanic and other smaller European language group. We hope to have both at least 2 smaller and 2 bigger language groups. We will use both professional translators and native speaker Wikimedians.
  1. What other roles are important for these activities? Please describe these roles and provide the usernames or names of who will perform these roles.
    Outreach, Coordination and Documentation roles. User:Zblace will do Outreach and help Coordination and Documentation. User:DrMel will do Outreach work.
  1. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined in the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
    No.
  1. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
    Concept document is developed here.

Outcomes[edit]

After your activities are complete, we would like to understand the draft implementation plan for your community. You will be required to prepare a document detailing this plan around a movement strategy initiative. This report can be prepared through Meta-wiki using the Share your results button on this page. The report can be prepared in your language, and is not required to be written in English.

In this report, you will be asked to:

  • Provide a link to the draft implementation plan document or Wikimedia page
  • Describe what activities supported the development of the plan
  • Describe how and where you have communicated your plan to relevant communities.
  • Report on how your funding was spent

Your draft implementation plan document should address the following questions clearly:

  • What movement strategy initiative or goal are you addressing?
  • What activities will you be doing to address that initiative?
  • What do you expect will happen as a result of your activities? How do those outcomes address the movement strategy initiative?
  • How will you measure or evaluate your activities? What tools or methods will you use to evaluate your activities?

To create a draft implementation plan, we recommend the use of a logic model, which will help you and your team think about goals, activities, outcomes, and other factors in an organized way. Please refer the following resources to develop a logic model:

  • Overview of logic models on Meta-wiki
  • Example logic models for reference for other movement activities (such as partnerships and edit-a-thons)
  • Blank logic model template on Google Drive
  • We do not plan a special evaluation process and plan but rather a constant reviews and re-iteration that we already have in place *(similar to SCRUM methodology) with weekly check-ins or extended meetings since few months. For this stage of work and level of resourc we think this is sufficient and adequate practice based approach.

Please confirm below that you will be able to prepare a draft implementation plan document by the end of your grant:

    • We confirm.

Optionally, you are welcome to include other information you'd like to share around participation and representation in your activities. Please include any additional outcomes you would like to report on below:

Budget[edit]

How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!

  • Translation: 600 USD Translation of materials to better involve project planners.
    • translate basic materials into Slavic, Romance and other languages
  • Research: 400 USD Research on un(der)represented communities - required for planning purposes:
    • outreach to unrepresented projects and evaluating communication models
    • outreach to underrepresented user-groups and consultation with them
  • Coordination: 600 USD Coordination to organize the collaboration between project planners:
    • semi-public and internal meetings with invited guests (scheduling, recording and edit-report-publish)
    • onboarding at least one of #1 project representatives or group members
  • Documentation: 300 USD contracting a person to help organize the drafting of a project plan:
    • visualization of project ideas and tentative directions
    • establishing working documents structure with drafts and annotated notes
  • Other: 100 USD Meeting costs of mobile data packages and smaller fees:
    • offer to compensate for consultation/focus group with underrepresented user-groups
    • costs related to administrative aspects, financially processing and related reporting

TOTAL: 2000 USD

Completing your application[edit]

Once you have completed the application, please do the following:

  • Change the application status from status=draft to status=proposed in the {{Probox}} template.
  • Contact strategy2030(_AT_)wikimedia.org and rapidgrants(_AT_)wikimedia.org to confirm your submission, as well as to request any support around your application.

Endorsements[edit]

Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!