Grants:PEG/Susanna Mkrtchyan/Wiki conference
- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
- Susanna Mkrtchyan
- For organizations: Are you a for-profit entity?
- For organizations: If non-profit (US) or equivalent (outside the US) status is available in your country, do you have or are you pursuing such status (please be specific):
- For individual applicants: Please note that if your request is accepted you will be required to provide documentation verifying your full legal name and address.
- Grant contact name
- Susanna Mkrtchyan
- Grant contact username or email
- Grant contact title (position)
- Head of sector at the Institute for Informatics and Automation problems of National Academy of Science of Republic Armenia, Ph.D. of technical sciences.
- Project lead name
- Armenian Wiki conference
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Full project name
- ʺWikicamp. The perspectives of development of the Armenian Wikipediaʺ international workshop
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- Provisional target start date
- September 7 2012
- Provisional completion date
- September 8 2012
|Item||Number||Travel expencies||Accomodation||Per day||Total|
|Representative from succed chapter||1||500$||3*100$||3*20||860$|
|Wikipedians from Georgia||2||50$||3* 100$||3*20||820$|
|Wikipedians from Russia||1||500$||3* 100$||3*20||860$|
|Printing bouklet Welcome2WP in Armenian||300||500$|
- Number of participants (approximate)- 100 people.
- All expenses mentioned above are approximate.
- Conference room, Wi-Fi are provided free of charge by Armenian partner organization: Institute for Problems of informatics and automatization http://iiap.sci.am/ , where I am working and where our group usually have meetings. But the conditions here are not so good, that is why I hope we can find better and what is more important larger Venue.
Project scope and list of activities
- Our group will continue Wiki lessons: to teach students Wiki tools in different universities and schools and propagate Wiki technology and ideology.
- I am going to prepare presentation "The perspectives of development of Armenian Wikipedia and other Wiki projects"
- We will collect proposals from Armenian Wikipedia editors how to improve the quality of the Armenian Wikipedia content as well as enhance its quantity in order to choose key speeches.
- We will choose the appropriate (better than we have) venue for the conference and negotiate with the owner for using it free of charge for the conference.
- We will negotiate with media for advertizing the conference events in advance.
- Print booklet Welcome2WP_English_082310 in Armenian
- The main goal is to return back editors with years of experience, to attract new editors and to convince society particularly scientists and people engaged in education, that their Vision of Wikipedia and other Wiki projects is very superficial and to acquaint them to all aspects of advantages of Wiki projects.
- We must achieve more collaboration within community to improve the content of Wiki projects and to attract more people into Wiki movement. Consequently the second goal is to prepare the ground for establishing the chapter Wikimedia Armenia.
We need a representative from Wikimedia Foundation for main presentation.
Fit to strategy
- Participations of the representatives of different institutions in the conference would facilitate in founding relations with official bodies and research institutions, universities, schools and other organizations.
- The collaboration of large number of people would attract much more people to join in participating in Wikimedia community activities.
- The organization chain hackatons while preparing the conference, will be an effective tool for attracting more people to participate in creating Armenian Wikipedia (or other Armenian Wiki projects) content.
- We believe, we can get some positive media attention for this project, which may also be effective in persuading the Parliament and the Government-to revise the law of licence, as well as other content owners to free up their material (particularly Matenadaran).
- We believe more people will take an interest in creating Wiki content and will enjoy it.
Measures of success
We will consider the project a success if both the number of volunteers, applying for the membership of Wikimedia Armenia (100) and of organizations (10) as well, will increase sharply. In addition we hope that all experienced editors who left Armenian Wikipedia, will return back (already some).