- This report reflects project state on the end of May 2010
- As our project put it: "Goal of this project is to allow our members to take good portraits of relevant people, which is very often missing in suitable quality and also help other photographers take good photos of municipalities and other landscapes." The intention was to reach that goal by making a good camera available to Wikipedian photographers.
Description of actual activities:
- camera and other equipment purchased: 4th January 2010
- lent to first Wikipedian: 28th Jan 2010
What lessons were learned that could help others succeed in similar projects?
- This kind of activity is not hard at all, if you have enough people in your community who you can trust with $1000+ worth of photo equipment and are willing to spend that time necessary to choose what to buy and order it.
- Other thing one should be aware of is the number of people who'll actually want to participate. Since it's the volunteers who're going to do all the actually useful work you should have some idea about how many people will be interested. It's also useful to consider how many paperwork/reports are you going to require on their side since it's important to keep whole experience fun enough to be done in one's free time.
- In order to fully use potential of a DSLR most people need some time to accomodate with various photographic techniques, many of which are not possible with regular compact cameras. To shorten this time, I've created a short page on Wikibooks with tips and links to other resources. I believe that our workshop has also helped to raise quality of pictures that come in.
What impact did the project have on WMF mission goals of Increased Reach, Increased Quality, Increased Credibility, Increased and Diversified Participation?
- We ask people who use project's DSLR to insert photos taken with it into special category. The category currently contains 1023 photos (used in more than 500 pages), including:
Rostislav Vondruška, Czech minister of regional development
Petr Nečas, leader of Czech Civic Democrats, on a rally in Prague
road in Vysočina (also part of Czech Municipalities Photographs project)
SA missiles; one of 143 pictures from military museum in Lešany
Líbeznice in Central Bohemia (also part of Czech Municipalities Photographs project)
Slovenian writer Drago Jančar in Brno
- As can be seen above, the pictures are quite diverse and include events, notable people, as well as landscapes from various parts of the country. The camera has also helped to acquire photos for WM CZ's other two grant projects that incorporate photography, and used on our photo workshop in April.
Detail of expenditures:
As of 24th June 2010, expenditures are as follows,
- Total allocated funds in CZK: 26055 (~1248 USD in current exchange rate)
- Canon EOS 1000D 18-55 DC Kit (DSLR): 11909 CZK
- SanDisk SDHC Ultra II 4 GB (memory card): 347 CZK
- Canon EF-S 55-250/4,0-5,6 IS (telephoto lens): 6366 CZK
- Canon Speedlite 430EX II (flash): 6671 CZK
- Ansmann A-Can LP-E5 (additional battery for DSLR): 403 CZK
- postage: 100 CZK
- Hama lens cleaning kit: 290 CZK
- Total money spent: 26087 CZK (~1250 USD)
Amount underspent in US Dollars:
- -32 CZK (~1.5 USD) (as of 24th June 2010)
Will you be requesting re-allocation of remaining grant funding?
- There's nothing left, so no.
--che, May+June 2010