Editing refers to the changing of a page by a Wikimedia user. Unless certain restrictions are in effect, such as protection, all pages are editable, by everyone. This is a brief overview of that process. For more information see the links below.
Most frequent wiki markup explained
This page can be found at mw:Help:Formatting.
This is an interwiki redirect.
Some pages cannot be edited by everyone. A special function known as protection can be applied to a page by administrators, making the said page uneditable to certain classes of users. There are several degrees of protection:
- If a page is semiprotected, it can be edited by everyone except IP addresses and accounts that have not yet been confirmed.
- If a page is fully protected, only other admins can make edits to the page.
- A page can also be protected so that it cannot be moved.
- In some cases, an admin might see fit to protect a page from being created.
- For very rare pages, such as the Main Page, "cascading" protection is applied, wherein every page that is transcluded onto a page is protected too.
There are various reasons why a page might be protected. Vandalism and spam can lead to semiprotection, while content wars and other severe cases can lead to full protection. There are other times where Office actions come into play. For the most part, protection is temporary and editing privileges are then restored. In any case, everyone can view the source of any page, irrespective of its level of protection.
Wiki markups and codes
- Help:Wikitext examples
- Help:Displaying a formula
- Help:Reference card: a one-page summary of important commands, to be printed out and used next to the computer
- Help:HTML in wikitext
- Help:Comment tags
- HTML elements: introduction to HTML
- Help:Redirect - Setting up a redirect page within wiki
- Help:Starting a new page
- Protecting pages
- Wikipedia:Merging and moving pages#Merging and moving pages
- Anti-spam features
Additional editing tools
Links to other help pages
- Help contents
- Meta · Wikinews · Wikipedia · Wikiquote · Wiktionary · Commons: · Wikidata · MediaWiki · Wikibooks · Wikisource · MediaWiki: Manual · Google
- Versions of this help page (for other languages see further)
- What links here on Meta
- Go · Search · Stop words · Namespace · Page name · Section · Backlinks · Redirect · Category · Image page · Special pages · Printable version
- Tracking changes
- Recent changes (enhanced) | Related changes · Watching pages · Diff · Page history · Edit summary · User contributions · Minor edit · Patrolled edit
- Logging in and preferences
- Logging in · Preferences · User style
- Starting a new page · Advanced editing · Editing FAQ · Edit toolbar · Export · Import · Shortcuts · Edit conflict · Page size
- Links · URL · Piped links · Interwiki linking · Footnotes
- Style and formatting
- Wikitext examples · CSS · Reference card · HTML in wikitext · Formula · List · Table · Sorting · Colors · Images and file uploads
- Fixing mistakes
- Show preview · Testing · Reverting edits
- Advanced functioning
- Expansion · Template · Advanced templates · Parser function · Parameter default · Variable · System message · Substitution · Array · Calculation · Embed page
- Special characters · Renaming (moving) a page · Preparing a page for translation · Talk page · Signatures · Sandbox · Legal issues for editors