CIS-A2K/Work plan July 2014 - June 2015/Odia Wikisource as OER
This project aims to make Odia Wikisource a live project. Towards this three things will be done by CIS-A2K. First, to get a major Odia author's (Dr. Jagannath Mohanty) content re-released under CC-BY-SA 3.0 and to host it on Odia Wikisource. Second, with the help of Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences undertake a project whereby the students will type and proof read the books on Odia Wikisource, which could be used as OER across various educational institutions. Third, the digitized children's literature in Odia will be freely distributed across the government schools in an offline form. This project is inspired by the Malayalam Wikimedia community's efforts of introducing Wikisource in schools as part of the IT at Schools program in Kerala.
Work Done so Far
- CIS-A2K had initial discussions with Manik-Biswanath, a trust founded by Dr. Mohanty. This Trust owns copyright to Dr. Mohanty's works. CIS-A2K has got an agreement in principle to re-licensing some of the works under Creative Commons license.
- CIS-A2K signed an MoU with Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS), who will help in digitizing Odia content for WikiSource. CIS-A2K has discussed with the KISS management to involve students in the the digitization project of Dr. Mohanty's donation on Odia Wikisource.
- CIS-A2K had initial discussions with Manik-Biswanath trust founded by Dr. Mohanty. This is currently the possessor of his work. Their consent for re-licensing the work in Creative Commons was discussed and they have agreed for allowing CIS-A2K to help them in re-licensing and releasing the books online.
- CIS-A2K signed an MoU with Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences (KISS) to digitize content for WikiSource. KISS has agreed to roll out the digitization project and involve some of their students.
Odia Children’s Literature Donation/Release under CC License
To work towards getting the Odia children’s content re-released under CC-BY-SA 3.0 license and put up on Odia Wikisource
- Formalize agreement with Manik-Biswanath Trust to re-release 11 books under CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.
- Organize a formal function for the re-release such that it motivates others to follow suit. Dr. Mohanty’s family, Manik-Biswanath Trust members, KISS management and Odia Wikimedia community will part of this event.
- Create an online catalogue of the entire collection of Dr. Jagannath Mohanty.
- Arrive at priority list from the catalogue to be digitized and typed on Odia wikisource.
- Books will be scanned and PDF files will be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons
- Digitize and make available the top priority (encyclopedic in nature) books on Wikisource
1. 50 Odia books to be made available on Odia Wikisource.
2. This will also contribute to the improvement of articles on Odia Wikipedia and could result in 50 quality articles.
Revive the OR Wikisource Project
- To revive the Odia Wikisource project that is in incubation.
- Create a group of committed contributors at KISS consisting of faculty and students.
- Upload digitized books on Wikimedia Commons
- A core group will be selected by KISS to coordinate the digitization work locally.
- CIS-A2K will facilitate training by some of the expert Malayalam Wikimedians who already have worked with school children to digitize books on WikiSource.
- Organize regular typing and proofreading sprints.
- Odia Wikisource is currently under incubation. All of the essential 500 system messages have already been translated into Odia. Now active community (at least 5 members) will be digitizing books on the incubation project to bring it live.
- Once the project gains momentum write to Language Committee to make the project live
- Wikimedians from Odia community who are interested would be involved in this project to support in training the Wikimedians and on-wiki support for the project.
- Around 4500 folios will be typed and proof-read on Odia Wikisource.
- It is expected to have totally 30 active Odia Wikisource editors.
- Odia Wikisource project to go live.
To distribute offline copies of the books digitized in schools.
- Create CD/DVDs out of the digitized books
- Organize a formal function for the release of the offline Odia Wikisource.
- Department of Information and Public Relation, Education and Culture Department of the Government of Odisha will be actively involved to build future partnerships.
- Publicize the event in print, electronic media and on social media.
- Distribute them in schools and introduce students to Odia WikiSource.
- Creation and distribution of about 500 CD/DVDs in 200 government schools across Odisha
- Formal release of the offline version to bring more visibility to the Wikimedia projects in the state of Odisha.
|Parameters||Expected Target (by December 2014)||Dream Target (by December 2014)|
|No. of New editors||30||60|
|No. of New Active editors||10||20|
|No. of books made available on Odia WikiSource||20||50|
|No. of folios typed and proofread||4,500||5,500|
|No. of Training Workshops||3||5|
|No. of Events||1||2|
|Expenditure Item||FDC Support (INR)||FDC Support (US$)||Other Sources and in kind Support (INR)||Other Sources and in kind Support (US$)|
|1 PO x 20% *||165,120/-||2,671.78||-||-|
|1 PD x 5% ***||72,000/-||1,165.02||40,800/-||660.18|
|Travel and Stay **||50,000/-||809.04||100,000/-||1,618.08|
* 20% of Subhashish Panigrahi's time as Program Officer, who will anchor this plan at CIS-A2K
** Expenses incurred by the CIS-A2K program team towards executing the plan.
*** 5% of T. Vishnu Vardhan’s time as Program Director, CIS-A2K
List of Contributors
- Prof. Partho Sengupta
- Surjya Kanta Mohanty
- Dr. Shisir Ranjan Dash
- Dr. Madan Mohan Sahu
- O.S. Rajaraman
- Shitikanta Dash