CIS-A2K/IRC meeting 2012-04-19

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

[20:59] Hmundol hi folks
[21:00] BobTheWikipedian good evening
[21:00] Hmundol Hey Bob.
[21:00] subha Hi everyone!
[21:00] sujatha welcome to all
[21:00] Hmundol We'll start the India Program IRC now. Logs begin.
[21:00] nitika Hey Everyone!
[21:01] gyan hello
[21:01] Hmundol This is the fortnightly India Program IRC. We have these on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 9pm IST
[21:01] Hmundol Today's is focussed on Outreach and Communications.
[21:01] Hmundol Here's the opening statement.
[21:01] Hmundol *Outreach*
[21:01] Hmundol Over the past few months we have conducted several outreach sessions and
[21:01] Hmundol have been able to curate outreach standard presentation decks, best
[21:01] Hmundol practices and tips. Now we want to assist community members in
[21:01] Hmundol adopting/adapting these to conduct effective outreach sessions in their
[21:01] Hmundol respective cities/languages. We'll be soon working on 2 aspects for
[21:01] Hmundol increasing the number of outreach sessions we are doing on Indic languages
[21:02] Hmundol but we need your help on this:
[21:02] Hmundol 1. Start translating outreach supporting documents to Indic languages - To
[21:02] Hmundol start with we want Indic language community members to help us translate
[21:02] Hmundol outreach documents and presentations to Indic languages.
[21:02] Hmundol 2. Create opportunities for Indic outreach - We have been mailing/calling a
[21:02] Hmundol lot of institutes to organize a Wikipedia session (see list
[21:02] Hmundol here<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program/Outreach_Programs/Correspondence>)[1]
[21:02] Hmundol in their regional language but we have not able to get as many outreach
[21:02] Hmundol sessions as we'd like since they feel more comfortable corresponding in
[21:02] Hmundol their own regional language. We want help from Indic langauge editors who
[21:02] Hmundol are interested to do more outreach in their regional languages/cities to
[21:02] Hmundol help us reach out to these institutes.
[21:02] Hmundol I'd request all the Indic language editors who want to help us out on
[21:02] Hmundol either of the two points mentioned above to show up on the IRC or write to
[21:02] Hmundol us offlist since we'll be discussing ways of doing effective outreach in
[21:02] Hmundol regional languages.
[21:02] Hmundol *Communications:* *Wikipatrika:*
[21:02] Hmundol 6 communities (Assamese, Gujarati, Marathi, Nepali,Odia, Telugu ) have
[21:02] Hmundol already created Wikipatrika pages on their respective Wikipedias. The new
[21:02] Hmundol template for Wikipatrika is up
[21:02] Hmundol here<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/WikiPatrika/2012-05/Community_News>.[2]
[21:02] Hmundol In tomorrow's outreach, we could discuss ideas and suggestions to make
[21:02] Hmundol Wikipatrika more useful. We could also discuss any problems that community
[21:02] Hmundol members maybe facing.
[21:02] Hmundol *Communications:* *Odia Social Media pilot:*
[21:03] Hmundol am going to give a few mins for folks to go through all that and then we can start.
[21:03] freakofmimsy hi!
[21:03] srikanthlogic waves
[21:03] freakofmimsy waves srikanthlogic, theo10011
[21:03] Noopur28 hey all
[21:04] freakofmimsy huggles hmundol, noopur28
[21:04] Fluffernutter hello all
[21:06] Hmundol_ sorry about this.
[21:06] freakofmimsy what are we going through?
[21:06] BobTheWikipedian welcome back
[21:06] freakofmimsy wb hmundol_!
[21:06] Hmundol_ sorry, let me repost it again. it's a bit of a handful.
[21:06] Hmundol_ Outreach
[21:06] Hmundol_
[21:06] Hmundol_ Over the past few months we have conducted several outreach sessions and have been able to curate outreach standard presentation decks, best practices and tips. Now we want to assist community members in adopting/adapting these to conduct effective outreach sessions in their respective cities/languages. We'll be soon working on 2 aspects for increasing the number of outreach sessions we are doing on Indic languages but we need your help on this:
[21:06] Hmundol_ 1. Start translating outreach supporting documents to Indic languages - To start with we want Indic language community members to help us translate outreach documents and presentations to Indic languages.
[21:06] Hmundol_ 2. Create opportunities for Indic outreach - We have been mailing/calling a lot of institutes to organize a Wikipedia session (see list here)[1] in their regional language but we have not able to get as many outreach sessions as we'd like since they feel more comfortable corresponding in their own regional language. We want help from Indic langauge editors who are interested to do more outreach in their regional languages/cities to help us reach
[21:06] Hmundol_ these institutes.
[21:07] Hmundol_ I'd request all the Indic language editors who want to help us out on either of the two points mentioned above to show up on the IRC or write to us offlist since we'll be discussing ways of doing effective outreach in regional languages.
[21:07] Hmundol_ Communications: Wikipatrika:
[21:07] Hmundol_ 6 communities (Assamese, Gujarati, Marathi, Nepali,Odia, Telugu ) have already created Wikipatrika pages on their respective Wikipedias. The new template for Wikipatrika is up here.[2] In tomorrow's outreach, we could discuss ideas and suggestions to make Wikipatrika more useful. We could also discuss any problems that community members maybe facing.
[21:07] Hmundol_ Communications: Odia Social Media pilot:
[21:07] Hmundol_ As proposed earlier, here's[3] the social media pilot to support the Odia community members. The end result of this pilot is to attract more newbies and introduce them to the Wikiverse. This pilot is to try out effective messaging strategies to use a platform like Facebook optimally and try to recruit more editors to the Odia Wikipedia. The most important nuance is that we have built a draft social media messaging strategy and plan to work closel
[21:07] Hmundol_ the Odia community to implement it - through the community members. We hope to discuss this plan and get your inputs on it.
[21:07] Hmundol_ As always, the first 45 minutes will be focused on these and the last 15 minutes will be open to any other topic.
[21:07] Hmundol_ We;ll start with Outreach. Specifically Indic Outreac
[21:07] Theo10011 Fluffernutter, damn, no idoru here.
[21:07] Theo10011 Also, hi
[21:08] Fluffernutter heh, i was just thinking he might get spamkicked
[21:08] =-= Mode #wikimedia-office +o Theo10011 by ChanServ
[21:08] nitika We have curated outreach supporting documents in English however we want to make all these documents available to Indic languages as well
[21:08] gyan is our primary focus is to translate or anything else?
[21:08] =-= Theo10011 has changed the topic to “WMF India community meeting | https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC_office_hours | Logged during office hours”
[21:08] =-= Mode #wikimedia-office +v Hmundol_ by Theo10011
[21:08] =-= Mode #wikimedia-office -o Theo10011 by ChanServ
[21:08] nitika So we're looking for Indic Wikipedians who might be intersted in helping us out translate these in Indic languages
[21:09] nitika @gyan: we want to start by translating the documents and the actually conducting the sessions in local langauges
[21:09] MaNNO Hello All
[21:09] Noopur28 hey MaNNO
[21:10] nitika link to outreach presentation in odia is here: http: //tiny.cc/odia
[21:10] nitika We already have some volunteers working to convert it into Hindi and Telugu
[21:11] Hmundol gyan: in fact, as you know, odia already has FAQs and typing guide.
[21:11] nitika I was wondering if there would be anyone here intersted in translating it in other langauges?
[21:11] gyan yes
[21:11] Noopur28 Hey Netha!
[21:12] Hmundol we need to work on getting these available for other other languages as well (though some already have them like malayalam, assamese, tamil, etc.) but i think we will need to build them in hindi, gujurati, bengali
[21:12] nitika So one is the translating the outreach documents that we're working towards
[21:12] Netha Hi Noopur
[21:13] nitika Teh latest veriosn of the presentation also contains a langauge specific slide - talking about that particular Wikipedia community, no.of articles, page views etc.
[21:14] C-4 Hmundol_, I don't what FAQ and typing guide pages are you referring to here, but Bangla already has many of them.
[21:14] C-4 Me and Jayanta worked on this mostly.
[21:14] Theo10011 oh man, so many hmundols.
[21:14] C-4 Theo10011, continue voicing them.
[21:14] nitika The second thing I specifically wanted to talk about is that we are not able to conduct as many Indic langauge outreach sessions as we'd like to
[21:15] Theo10011
[21:15] gyan and odia wiki pedia has FAQ book ready
[21:15] Hmundol_ ah, then i stand corrected. I hadn't seen it so I thought it had to be done! If it's done it's great, C-4. Actually, now I remember reading about the Bengali FAQ! Sorry
[21:15] gyan I mean translated
[21:15] Theo10011 Hmundol, connection problem?
[21:15] Theo10011 or Hmundol_
[21:15] C-4 Hmundol, A WMBD chapter initiative, we also have an off-line booklet with the FAQ.
[21:16] srikanthlogic just a suggestion, if the contents of handbooks / documents are put on wiki instead of google documents, people could use the translate extension if that helps..
[21:16] MaNNO or.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:FAQ
[21:16] C-4 (Used that in several meet-ups and workshops for since more than a year ago.)
[21:16] C-4 Using*
[21:17] srikanthlogic meta will soon be having translation memories as well.. so translation can happen faster
[21:17] Hmundol That's great C-4. It's really good that you are being using it!
[21:17] C-4 Aye, for a long time.
[21:18] nitika @Srikanthlogic: that's a great idea. I can put the content on meta too. However we'll need stuff in the actual document form as well to share it with the participants
[21:18] Hmundol In fact, c-4, I konw that some of the Kolkatta community folks are trying to work out an outreach session at jadavpur University so I am sure it will come in handy!
[21:18] C-4 Hmundol, I handed over the copy to Jayanta already.
[21:19] C-4 Now you can just print that out.
[21:19] srikanthlogic nitika: check it out, how you need to put it out to make it translatable https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate
[21:19] jayanta c-4 ? tanvir?
[21:19] C-4 হ্যাঁ জয়ন্তদা।
[21:19] nitika i think my comment went unnoticedreposting: The second thing I specifically wanted to talk about is that we are not able to conduct as many Indic langauge outreach sessions as we'd like to
[21:20] nitika @Srikanthlogic: Great! I'll catch up with you separately on this
[21:20] gyan besides FAQ book is there anything else and yes what about conducting more outreach as nitika said
[21:21] Theo10011 Hmundol, avoiding me? no hi?
[21:21] C-4 LOL
[21:21] freakofmimsy I think he's busy sorting the connection, Theo. Don't be so paranoid!
[21:21] freakofmimsy runs
[21:21] C-4 His connection is avoiding you Theo10011.
[21:21] Theo10011
[21:21] nitika We need help from Indic Wikipedians to reach out to institues since they prefer to correspond in their local language
[21:21] Hmundol_ perish the thought!
[21:21] srikanthlogic Theo10011: hi!
[21:22] Theo10011 hiya srikanthlogic
[21:22] nitika We have been reaching to them (specially medical colleges - to foster medical projects that are running in so many langauges) but we rarely hear back with them
[21:22] nitika Writing, mailing and talking to them in english just doenst help
[21:23] nitika We have all the material ready (mails that can be sent to institues, student cubs, interest groups etc)
[21:23] nitika but we need Indic Wikipedians to help us translate
[21:24] Theo10011 k
[21:24] Theo10011 hi AshLin
[21:24] nitika http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nitika.t/Outreach/Mail_Draft_for_Prof/Director
[21:24] AshLin Hi Theo
[21:24] nitika http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nitika.t/Outreach/Mail_Draft_for_Photo_Club
[21:24] a_r_n good evening everyone.... if possible can some one fill me in with log please... Rangilo here
[21:24] gyan yah we are ready to translate to our local languages
[21:24] nitika http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nitika.t/Outreach/Mail_Draft_for_Student_Clubs
[21:25] nitika https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org/present/edit?id=0AdsrCZ_fInBPZGhueG13OXRfMjI2ZzUyeHd0ZDU
[21:25] Netha @Nitika : I being a medical student myself can try to arrange outreach sessions at medical colleges
[21:25] shanmugamp7 hi srikanthlogic
[21:26] nitika @gyan: That's great!!! I heard that you had 3 wonderful outreach sessions sometime back.. im sure translating and getting these documents in Odia will further help getting more outreach sessions and building your community
[21:26] gyan yes and we odia wikipedians have arranged one in a medical college here
[21:26] srikanthlogic shanmugamp7: hello!
[21:26] gyan yes that's true @nitika
[21:27] Theo10011 AshLin, I saw your project in Signpost.
[21:27] AshLin tTheo
[21:27] Theo10011 Nice one. Congrats.
[21:27] MaNNO A small interruption...I am a new wikipedian and contribute to Odia wiki...how can I do some Odia wikipedia workshops in Mumbai??
[21:27] nitika @Netha: That's great! Let me know if students will be more comfortable editing in en or ml ... Since you're so active in medical projectsyourself im sure u can really help get more students join hands
[21:27] AshLin Thanks, I'm a bit quiet on that front now though
[21:27] Theo10011 Didn't know you specialized in taxonomy.
[21:27] Theo10011 ah
[21:28] rolphology I'll comment within a week about: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nitika.t/Outreach/Mail_Draft_for_Prof/Director
[21:28] nitika @MaNNO: that will be great! why dont you connect with me via mail. Let me know what instistue and when can we schedule this. I'll be more than happy to help you on this
[21:28] AshLin No, I use the standard texts actually, Kunte & Peter Smetacek for butterflies & some foreigners for moths
[21:28] MaNNO Thanks Nitika...will do that for sure
[21:29] nitika @rolphology: shall wait!
[21:30] gyan no I just want to know what are the important things besides translating to go furthure
[21:30] nitika @gyan: to get more outreach sessions, to hand hold new guys who are trying to edit in local language (specially during their first few edits)
[21:31] Hmundol_ hey, we also wanted to talk communications. patrika and a small social media pilot we are talking to the odia community. i'll hand over to noopur.
[21:31] Noopur28 Thanks Hisham! Hey guysJust an update on the Wikipatrika, the community newsletter. 6 communities including Marathi, Gujarati, Nepali and Assamese have already created pages in respective Wikipedias,
[21:32] Noopur28 A kannada community member also told me that they have started a page as well.
[21:32] Noopur28 We are hoping that once there is enough content in respective languages, we can translate it to English
[21:32] AshLin Hi Nitika
[21:32] nitika @AshLin: Heya!
[21:33] rolphology Going social sounds promising. Will take interest in social media pilot and outcomes.
[21:33] Noopur28 Two community members from the Marathi community have translated content already
[21:33] Noopur28 Here's the link to the page: http://wiki.wikimedia.in/WikiPatrika/2012-05/Community_News/mr
[21:33] AshLin I'm occupied for a few days a part of my thesis is coming up hence I'm on low-burner for en-WP at themoment
[21:33] Theo10011 Estou esta entediado. o que ha de novo?
[21:33] Theo10011 oops wrong channel.
[21:33] omtsh lol
[21:34] Theo10011 huggles omtsh
[21:34] freakofmimsy lol
[21:34] AshLin @THeo, that looks like esperanto?
[21:34] Theo10011 close
[21:34] freakofmimsy espanol
[21:34] omtsh spanish
[21:34] freakofmimsy portuguese?
[21:34] Fluffernutter pt
[21:34] BobTheWikipedian spanisch
[21:34] gyan in odia wiki we've a good capture over the social networking websites specially facebook regarding outreach
[21:34] freakofmimsy beriaspeak
[21:34] nitika @AshLin: cool! Goodluck with your thesis! what's your subject?
[21:34] Theo10011 Shh
[21:34] omtsh blargish
[21:34] Noopur28 Thanks rolphology, would love to discuss the pilot with you
[21:35] AshLin Climate Change & its security implication to the the Indian subcontinent
[21:35] Noopur28 Another update is on the Odia social media plan
[21:35] AshLin dense stuff, hence I'll put up a page after Sunday
[21:35] freakofmimsy Basically, his thesis goes like this: Climate change will cause Maldives to disappear and then India will have one less neighbour to worry about.
[21:35] gyan yes happy to hear that nupoor
[21:36] srikanthlogic talking of Social media, any folks interested in social share gadget which allows people to share / tweet articles, lemme know, I can help
[21:36] nitika @gyan: could you elaborate a bit more. dint get you there?
[21:36] Theo10011 AshLin, did you see all the controversy about mamta and FB?
[21:36] Noopur28 Here's the social media pilot plan: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/India_Program/Pilot_Designs/Social_Media
[21:36] Noopur28 Hey gyan!
[21:36] AshLin btw do we have any Maldivian editors?
[21:36] rolphology Iberialific
[21:36] AshLin nope
[21:36] nitika @AshLin: lots of luck!
[21:36] AshLin #nitika, thanks
[21:37] AshLin @nitika, oops, my bad
[21:37] gyan @nitika we have made groups, pages, in the name of wiki and we are getting a lot of people showing interest
[21:37] gyan hello Noopur
[21:37] rolphology Noopur28 - kindly describe framework, if able
[21:37] Noopur28 Yes, Gyan. I was hoping that we structure the messaging a bit more thru this plan.
[21:38] FishTankCleaner Srikanthlogic don't you have social media integration on Ta wiki?
[21:38] Noopur28 rolphology the idea is to get people to engage on the fb page
[21:38] Noopur28 and take them thru a journey
[21:38] MaNNO By the way...recently we few wikipedians had conducted 3 workshops in Odisha...we got some new contributors as well (special mention User: saileshpat...one of the youngest and Active contributor)...but the issue we are facing is...new wikipedians like me are going Target less...and I personally think...if we will be given Targets ...such as to write on a specific topic or Wiki Project etc...it will boost and encourage our wr
[21:38] nitika @gyan: oh that's great! can u share the page?
[21:38] MaNNO esp if tht target would be given/provided by some Wiki Personnel ….
[21:38] Noopur28 introduce them to wikipedia on a platform that they are more comfortable with
[21:39] srikanthlogic FishTankCleaner: we do, http://ta.wikipedia.org/ check out toolbar, I was shouting out if any other wiki wants it, I can help!
[21:39] FishTankCleaner Noopur28, what do you mean by platform where they're comfortable?
[21:39] Noopur28 Here is a newbie group that we've started:http://www.facebook.com/groups/wikipediasupport/353226838058902/?notif_t=like
[21:40] Noopur28 This group already has around 50 members who've shown interest in learning about editing
[21:40] Theo10011 there should be a space in there, before the link.
[21:40] Noopur28 We've also been hearing individual stories of users who asked an editor on FB
[21:40] gyan https://www.facebook.com/groups/OdiaWiki/
[21:40] Noopur28 then they learn comment by comment
[21:41] nitika @Manno: I hear what you're saying. Its very important for us to leave an outreach session with some suggestions with the audiences. We should direct them to some articles of their interest that they'd like to edit. Usualyy aftre an outreach they feel - they know what wikipedia is, how it works, the fact they can edit it, know a bit of how to edit but they always have this big questions mark - What do i edit next?
[21:41] FishTankCleaner Noopur28, please asnwer my question: what do you mean by platform where they're comfortable?
[21:41] nitika @And as a follow up they usually end up picking articles of relatively high importance like india, manmohan singh etc
[21:41] FishTankCleaner nitika, shouldn't that be part of a follow up session?
[21:41] Noopur28 Hey FishtankCleaner, what i meant by platform that is more comfortable, is something that is more layman
[21:41] nitika And we want to discourage new guys to edit such high importance articles to start with
[21:42] Noopur28 So, this provides a buffer for a newbie to take some time and understand what an 'edit' really means
[21:42] Theo10011 wait
[21:42] Theo10011 how is this India operation related?
[21:42] FishTankCleaner Noopur28, I still didn't understand what you're referring to by 'platform'.
[21:42] nitika So its essential for us to tell them and leave them with some suggestions about what we think they can start editing on
[21:42] Theo10011 and not something jay should be doing.
[21:43] nitika usually if we are doing an outreach in a college we'll encourage the students to edit their college's article
[21:43] nitika or maybe students can edit the town they belong to
[21:43] gyan @nitika here are the two pages in facebook helping us to find new people https://www.facebook.com/OdiaWiki & https://www.facebook.com/OdiaWiki?ref=ts
[21:44] FishTankCleaner nitika, while editing the towns article is fine, editing college related articles isn't recommended. it's a possible COI.
[21:44] srikanthlogic Theo10011: not sure you were in wrong window, but I didnt get the context..
[21:44] nitika @FishTankCleaner: suggestion of article? is that what you're saying should be a part of follow up?
[21:44] Theo10011 srikanthlogic, the FB page is not directly India operation related.
[21:44] freakofmimsy or tunde de kabab
[21:44] Theo10011 It should be general stuff that Jay should look into.
[21:45] rolphology Noopur28 - will comment via disscussion page, if any suggestions.
[21:45] nitika yeah.. or any fun article like - food items, comic characters etc.
[21:45] srikanthlogic nitika: on the flip side, if a newbie edits high importance article, more chances of getting feedback on edit, even if it gets reverted. //This on enwp
[21:45] BobTheWikipedian nitika: that's great, but does that violate the conflict of interest policy to edit their college's article? or is that viewed differently by that group of wikipedians?
[21:45] FishTankCleaner @nitika, yes, that is what i meant. i'm sure you can understand what i mean.
[21:45] Noopur28 rolphology please do!
[21:45] srikanthlogic on Indic, I guess every new edit gets some feedback
[21:45] gyan @nitika did you get that two links ?
[21:45] freakofmimsy bobthewikipedian, I don't think belonging to an institution necessarily puts you in a COI position
[21:46] suratha hi suratha from oriya wikipedia
[21:46] Hmundol guys, this is the 45 minute mark. happy to address any other points related t india programs
[21:46] srikanthlogic nitika: making a newbie edits not so watched pages means, they dont learn the rules,
[21:46] FishTankCleaner bobthewikipedian I've come across numerous edits on enwikip where people have edited their college articles and have badmouthed their dean. : (
[21:46] Hmundol of course, we can continue talking comms and outreach,
[21:46] srikanthlogic IMO this is a much more complex problem on what newbie should edit, they must edit what they feel interested
[21:46] freakofmimsy bobthewikipedian, in fact, students are likely to edit their college/school's page first in their wikicareer
[21:47] gyan @Hmundol yah I have seen in a local news paper it says "say no to wikipedia"
[21:47] srikanthlogic and am not sure how many would be interested in Manmohan singh
[21:47] rolphology On mobile it's UX
[21:47] suratha what is that newspaper
[21:47] gyan orissa post
[21:48] FishTankCleaner bobthewikipedian also, last time a student frm a college outreach session was held, the first thing that i saw was that a certain user had added links to their institute on the page about the article. around 3-4 links.
[21:48] rolphology Noopor28 - will comment within a week.
[21:48] nitika @srikanthlogic: but we want them to start up at relatively warm places so that they have a good expereince to begin with.
[21:48] BobTheWikipedian fishtankcleaner
[21:48] freakofmimsy hmundol, can you come to ahmedabad for our outreach session at the engineering college in Ahmedabad?
[21:48] kondi hmundol yes, do that please
[21:49] freakofmimsy hmundol_, can you come to ahmedabad for our outreach session at the engineering college in Ahmedabad? (correct handle)
[21:49] Hmundol_ sorry, guys, i keep getting knocked off
[21:49] freakofmimsy you must be on reliance
[21:49] Noopur28 rolphology will check once you do. Please feel free to drop a message on my talk page as well or at nraval@wikimedia.org
[21:49] MaNNO @Nitika But I think..we should categorize them as per their profession or their knowledge…like an active user Surath Parhi (User:ସୁରଥ_କୁମାର_ପାଢ଼ୀ) …who already knew how to write in Odia and also he has lots of resources to share…I think we should utilize them for the growth of contents purpose…
[21:49] FishTankCleaner hmundol, can you come down south to amil Nadu for an outreach session?
[21:49] MaNNO @Nitika and it can be possible if we people would be encouraged to work hand on hand in some Specific Topics or Project as said earlier…it can be a Translation Project or it can be related to Medicines or something like tht…what I want to say…create more and more Wiki Projects and encourage contributors(be they new or old) to contribute…
[21:49] nitika @gyan: yeah! got it. thanks for that
[21:50] Hmundol_ freakofmimsy: i am trying to work out a gujurati editor meetup on tuesday in ahmedabad.
[21:50] freakofmimsy hmundol / hmundol_, can you come to ahmedabad for our outreach session at the engineering college in Ahmedabad? [repeat]
[21:50] gyan welcome
[21:50] freakofmimsy hmundol, oh, that's really cool!
[21:50] nitika @Manno: absolutely!!! that's a great way to 1. work collaboratively 2. build community 3. increase quality and quantity of content
[21:50] FishTankCleaner hmundol, can you come down south to Tamil Nadu for an outreach session?
[21:50] freakofmimsy fishtankcleaner, dude, I asked him first!
[21:51] BobTheWikipedian lol
[21:51] Theo10011 oh everyone wants a piece.
[21:51] Hmundol_ this is really sweet of you guys but do let me finish my point...
[21:51] nitika @Manno: let me know if you have any particular project in mind that you'd want to initiate, i'd like to help!
[21:51] FishTankCleaner freakofmimsy, I didn't mean at the same time.
[21:51] BobTheWikipedian maybe he can come to indiana and teach us the indic languages so he can get americans to edit in indic languages
[21:51] Hmundol_ i was writing that i also wanted to figure out a way of meeting up with the kondi and harsh before the outreach session so that i could walk them through the outreach material that nitika has prepared
[21:52] subha
[21:52] AshLin @Noopur28, whats the latest on GLAM editathon?
[21:52] Hmundol ideally - which is what was done with a couple of other communities, we show the material beforehand and then show how it can actually be used, and then watch it actually being used! that would be an ideal trip.
[21:52] a_r_n BobTheWikipedian: even I would love to teach you all Indic in Indiana
[21:53] Hmundol so yes, happy to come to ahmedabad. just trying to work out if we can make the trip as productive as possible.
[21:53] kondi humdol I won't mind if you conduct the session in fact I'm looking forward to it
[21:53] Noopur28 Hey AshLin
[21:53] freakofmimsy hmundol, yes, I want to participate in a hisham session too, really!
[21:53] Noopur28 We are planning to do it on 21st
[21:53] Noopur28 http://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delhi/Crafts_Museum1 is the link to the edit-a-thon
[21:54] AshLin AN is it?
[21:54] nitika @Manno: absolutely! and we can use all this content for outreach, share it with newbies which will definitely help them during their early Wikipedia days
[21:54] FishTankCleaner hmundol, what about Down South ??? The South of India hasn't had much of an IP team session.
[21:54] Hmundol happy to conduct, kondi, but would love to spend time beforehand with you.
[21:54] Noopur28 I hope all community members who expressed interest in GLAM can join us for it!
[21:54] kondi Noopur28 it's 24th
[21:54] Hmundol i wish i felt so loved and wanted in all aspects of my life...
[21:54] freakofmimsy hugs hmundol
[21:54] Noopur28 Dear kondi, I am talking about the GLAM edit-a-thon
[21:55] Theo10011 heh
[21:55] Karthikndr hey all
[21:55] Noopur28 Hello Karthikndr!
[21:55] FishTankCleaner karthikndr, Hi buddy!
[21:55] AshLin @Noopur28, link not effective
[21:55] kondi Noopur28 oops
[21:55] MaNNO @nitika...we have some projects going on..and we all are working on it...and I also have some proposals...by which wiki Contents can be enhanced…will let you know through email ...can I have it??
[21:55] Karthikndr hello Noopur28 and FishTankCleaner (wondering whos it?)
[21:56] Noopur28 Sorry, just too many GLAM links. Here you go : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delhi/Crafts_Museum1
[21:56] a_r_n will miss Ahmedabad I guess :(, good luck Hmundol, kondi and freakofmimsy
[21:56] nitika Hey Karthikndr
[21:56] freakofmimsy a_r_n, can't you come?
[21:56] Noopur28 Oops
[21:56] Karthikndr hello Nitika
[21:56] Noopur28 AshLin
[21:56] Noopur28 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Delhi/Crafts_Museum1
[21:56] Hmundol FishTankCleaner: Let's work something out. …but let's do it as a combination of a bunch of outreach sessions, meet ups and sessions with community members who are interested in doing outreach but might not have done so before.
[21:56] AshLin @Noopur - again a dead link, that's two beers you owe me!
[21:56] Theo10011 there he goes again.
[21:56] nitika nitika@wikimedia.org
[21:56] Hmundol That would be a more sustainable thing than just a one off outreach session.
[21:56] rolphology gender-specific edit-a-thons in India, are they common?
[21:56] a_r_n freakofmimsy: practical exams anytime next week onwards ....
[21:57] nitika @Manno: nitika@wikimedia.org
[21:57] MaNNO Thank You...Nitika!
[21:57] Hmundol guys, we have 5 minutes left.
[21:57] Noopur28 AshLin here's the right link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Delhi/Crafts_Museum1
[21:57] FishTankCleaner rolphology, we've had one 'women's edit a thon organised by our edit a thon expert Netha Hussain ...
[21:57] nitika @rolphology: we can make it common
[21:57] rolphology Humor Barnstar goes to Theo10011
[21:57] AshLin @Noopur28, got it.
[21:58] freakofmimsy noopur, is that a meet up or a workshop? It looks more like a workshop.
[21:58] Theo10011 in all honesty, Hisham is Hi-larious.
[21:58] rolphology FishTankCleaner - und?
[21:59] FishTankCleaner und?
[21:59] Noopur28 freakofmimsy it's an edit-a-thon means we are going to edit
[21:59] AshLin @Noopur28 - your images are inadequately documented on the Commons upload page.
[21:59] freakofmimsy noopur28, keke
[21:59] Noopur28 AshLin will look into it. Thanks for pointing out.
[21:59] Hmundol Theo10011: Hisham is currently in a state of deep despair at his internet connection… …nothing Hi or Low Larius about it...
[21:59] Noopur28 Hey guys, just a quick note on Wikipatrika. If anyone's facing a problem figuring the templates, please don't hesitate to buzz me or leave a message on my talk page. User:Noopur28
[21:59] Theo10011 freakofmimsy, don't ask stupid questions like that to Noopur28 about editing.
[21:59] FishTankCleaner @noopur28, if you need help with adding info, locations, translations on commons, pot it on your user page there. someone will take care of it.
[21:59] freakofmimsy sorry shaktiman!
[22:00] FishTankCleaner freakofmimsy, Shaktiman?
[22:00] Theo10011 Dude, fix your internet for the next time, Hmundol.
[22:00] rolphology FTC - the outcome of one please?
[22:00] FishTankCleaner rolphology, und?
[22:00] AshLin You must try to get the accession number of the object and add it. In places where the museum cooperates, it is not at all difficult. Helps locate the object irl many years later.
[22:00] Hmundol Yes Sah! Theo10011!
[22:00] Theo10011
[22:00] Hmundol Ok, guys we are closing the logs. but feel free to carry on this discussion.
[22:00] rolphology Colleagues - craft museum page I see needs images
[22:01] Hmundol Thanks so much!
[22:01] Noopur28 FishtankCleaner thanks a ton for keeping a tab on my edit history and guiding me!
[22:01] AshLin Also where labels are located below an exhibit, fiirst photograph an object then its label & so on & so forth.
[22:01] freakofmimsy theo10011, it's bharti airtel internet
[22:01] BobTheWikipedian has a backup log just in case
[22:01] Hmundol See you guys on the 1st Thursday of next month when we'll talk INdic languages.