Jump to navigation Jump to search
We recommend that the Wikimedia Foundation board recognize four models of Wikimedia groups furthering our movement, including national chapters:
- "Chapters": incorporated entities with bylaws and mission aligned with Wikimedia's, focused on supporting related work within a geography. These groups must incorporate and sign a Chapter agreement allowing them to use the Wikimedia trademarks for their work, publicity, and fundraising; and would be allowed to use a name clearly linking them to Wikimedia.
- Ex: Wikimedia Macau, Wikimedia UK, Wikimedia NYC, Wikimedia Deutschland
- "Partner Organizations": incorporated entities with bylaws and mission aligned with Wikimedia's, focused on a cultural, linguistic, or other topic; not be exclusive to any geography. These groups must incorporate and sign a Partner Organization agreement allowing them to use the Wikimedia trademarks for their work, publicity, and fundraising; and would be allowed to use a name clearly linking them to Wikimedia.
- Ex: GLAM Wikimedians, Amical, MediaWiki Foundation
- "Associations": open-membership groups with an established contact person and stated purpose, which need basic use of the Wikimedia trademarks for promotion and organization of projects and events. A new association can be formed by listing a group's information in a public place, and confirming its contact information. A liaison can sign an optional Association agreement to use Wikimedia marks in a limited way in the scope of the Association's work. Small projects can be supported through individual reimbursement. An association wanting to apply for project grants would also need a treasurer, secretary, and bank account.
- Ex: WikiProject Tree of Life, Wikibooks Translation Team, Semantic MediaWiki Association
- "Affiliates": like minded organizations which are supporting the movement's work. They would also be listed publicly and granted limited use of the marks on websites and posters indicating their support of and collaboration with Wikimedia.
- Ex: Mozilla, Creative Commons, WikiEducator