User talk:Maryana (WMF)
Hi, your talk page is an odd place for your (most interesting, I really enjoyed reading) essay on Ruwiki history. There's no obvious place to give feedback to you or on the essay. I suggest moving the essay to User:Buickmackane/Ruwiki_history. That way both you and the essay will have functioning talk pages. :-) Mike Linksvayer 17:59, 8 February 2011 (UTC)
- Hi, it's a beta-version, still under revision and not intended for comments. We'll move it to the mainspace after I finish the Russian translation (soon). (second author)--Victoria 15:22, 9 February 2011 (UTC)
- Hello, really interesting, I hope to have it soon e.g. at Meta Wiki so that I can quote it. --Ziko 13:41, 16 February 2011 (UTC)
SergeyJ is a solid long-time contributor; his essay here raises some interesting points. How do you feel about moving it to something like "RuWiki history analysis (Doronina and Pinchuk)? Then Sergey's historical review can be linked as well. The current naming conventions (Russian v. Russian2) are a bit confusing. –SJ · talk | translate 07:52, 22 February 2011 (UTC)
- Hi Sj!
- It's great that other ru.wiki users are interested in working on their own histories! The point of our project was to generate discussion, to get people thinking historically, to develop their own ways to talk about how their communities have evolved. And it looks like we've done a pretty decent job of that so far :) So, yes, we'd be happy to rename our page to open up a space for other historical commentaries.
- As for SergeyJ's text, I've read through both the Russian and English versions and brushed up the English translation a bit. Unfortunately, I get the sense that he's not so much interested in telling the history of the Russian project as criticizing what Victoria and I have done. That's fine, but I should point out that, at the moment, he's indefinitely blocked in ru.wiki (though he's being considered for unblocking by the ArbCom) and has had some problems with administrators there in the past (as you can see in his block log). I wish him luck in his project, but I hope he'll spend more time focusing on writing a good history and less time accusing us of slander, yellow journalism, unethical behavior, etc. Buickmackane 21:48, 23 February 2011 (UTC)
Reserach - Wikipedia
I'm Jonas. I found very interesting your research about Russian Wikipedia.
I'm from Brazil and now studying the behavior of Wikipedia in Portuguese.
Jonas AGX 02:15, 14 April 2011 (UTC)
WikiData and participation
- Heya Helder :)
- I'm actually not involved in the Wikidata project, so I'm not sure I can give you any useful feedback on this. But just as an observer, that's definitely a valid point – thanks for raising it. Maryana (WMF) (talk) 00:12, 13 April 2012 (UTC)
I agree with you that readers are ignoring that banner. It's very similar to maintenance banners that readers are used to ignore. I was thinking in a very different banner, something like a small phrase Help us to build wikipedia now! but I'm not sure. Look's like google will put a new doodle everyday during olimpic games so I'll stop the test because readers from google are ignoring doodle per stats.grok statistics. It's a good period of time to reflect what is going wrong and develop a new strategy for the future. Tamil banner project is a wonderful idea! It would be great if someone at pt.wiki could lead such a initiative. I'm not sure if community would accept but it's worth to try. Like a friend of mine used to say:"we have already a NOT for answer if we do nothing, let's try something to risk a YES!". Unfortunately I don't have time to lead or help with such initiative. I'm kind of planning a reformulation of elimination system and I think it will consume most part of my time in wikipedia. OTAVIO1981 (talk) 20:24, 30 July 2012 (UTC)
Easy Media Upload proposal for dekstop web
Maryana - I'd love to join an eng meetup. The next one being on Valentine's Day might be hard for me - but maybe in the meantime we can meetup before then or chat at the following eng meetup? I'd love to build off of what has been started for mobile as I'm sure the backend requirements are very similar since its mobile web and not a native app. I'm free after 5pm or over the phone if easier. Main question - is given the mobile work happening do you think its worthwhile to request a grant for desktop web project even if it has some overlap?
- Oh wow, totally forgot about V-day! Heh. Maybe we can grab a drink/snack sometime in the evening and chat? I'm free Wednesday and Thursday night this week – drop me a line at mpinchukwikimedia.org and let me know what you think :) Maryana (WMF) (talk) 01:35, 29 January 2013 (UTC)