Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This page is a proposal for a new Wikimedia Foundation Sister Project.|
|What is the proposed name for the project?||TechWiki|
|Proposed project tagline||Tech for All|
What is the project purpose? What will be its scope? How would it benefit to be part of Wikimedia?
|Howdy! My name is Examknow and I have a new idea for a Wikimedia project. This wiki is to give info about all types of technology and computing from the most basic stuff to advanced development. This wiki will help people of all levels and ages with the technology that runs our world. Please leave any suggestions in the comments. Thanks.|
|How many wikis?
Will there be many language versions or just on one multilingual wiki?
|How many languages?
Is the project going to be in one language or in many?
|English (so far)
If the project requires any new features that the MediaWiki software currently doesn't have, please describe in detail. Are additional MediaWiki extensions needed for the project?
|A basic knowledge of editing MediaWiki|
|Interested participants||Join the movement. It takes a village!|
- @Examknow: wikitech: is the name of a Wikimedia Foundation wiki. —Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 03:51, 18 February 2019 (UTC)
- Hi. Are you familiar with the existing content on our projects, such as wikiversity:Category:Technology_courses and wikibooks:Department:Computing? -- If not, please contribute to those! :D -- If you are, please describe how this project would differ from those. Cheers, Quiddity (talk) 22:09, 18 February 2019 (UTC)
- @Quiddity Yes I am familiar with these projects. This wiki would be different because rather than being a sub area of a project this would be one wiki devoted to the subject of technology. This wiki will have information about all types of tech as I described in the description. One standalone wiki would have more ease of use and the content would be broader. Thanks! Examknow (talk) 12:37, 18 February 2019 (UTC)
- @Koavf: I just realized that WikiTech was in fact already the name of a wiki and I have changed it to TechWiki. If anyone has any ideas for an even better name, please put it in here. --Examknow (talk) 03:39, 19 February 2019 (UTC)
- Comment Well the name is sure perfect, I kind of like the idea, but dont you think that there might be tech related stuff in the other wiki's like Justin said.... ArepTicous talkcontribs 14:54, 4 May 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose Yes... just like Justin said, there is already a wiki called wikitech for technical documentation, The idea is ok, but dont you think that people can use other websites such as WikiHow and Wikipedia for this? ArepTicous talkcontribs 18:31, 5 May 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support completely take back what i said, this project id actually a brilliant idea, except that the name is already taken. maybe with a quick name change, this would be a perfect proposal.... i’ll give you some ideas in the talk.... ArepTicous talkcontribs 16:01, 7 May 2019 (UTC)
- I don't see why a project like this is necessary when we already have courses on Wikiversity, sections on Wikibooks, and articles on Wikipedia, all about this subject. Vermont (talk) 10:14, 8 May 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose Wikipedia could include this information, right? SelfieCity (talk) 17:21, 8 June 2019 (UTC)
- Oppose I think this would already come under Wikipedia's scope. Rubbish computer (Talk: Contribs) 16:30, 20 October 2019 (UTC)