Global Reach/Product research
- 1 Ongoing projects
- 1.1 New phone survey (before launch of Wikipedia Zero partner) [Phone surveys]
- 1.2 Making full data of surveys available [Phone surveys]
- 1.3 Create phone survey presentation for Q3 [Phone surveys]
New phone survey (before launch of Wikipedia Zero partner) [Phone surveys]
In preparation of an upcoming Wikipedia Zero launch in the Middle East, we will conduct a phone survey to those subscribers to measure Wikipedia awareness and use. We will also be including additional questions to measure the awareness of other major internet brands, specifically Google, Facebook and Whatsapp in addition to our own brand.
- Jan 23, 2017
- Voto confirms all translations done and audio recorded. Test calls are being conducted now prior to full deployment.
- Feb 9, 2017
- We found a community member in the target country who was able to assist with the testing process.
- The initial VOIP providers had technical difficulties, but Voto has located one which is able to handle the call volume and begin survey calls at the scale required.
- Current completion time for this survey is estimated as early as 17 Feb, barring any technical difficulties.
- We agreed on a fallback plan to increase response rate if progress trend shows risk of not finishing by end of month.
- Feb 14, 2017
- Survey in progress, approximately 20% complete
- Feb 23, 2017
- Survey in progress, approximately 70% complete
- Feb 27, 2017
- Survey is completed! Beginning work on compiling results to publish on meta
Making full data of surveys available [Phone surveys]
We are working with the Research and Legal teams to release our survey data under the open access policy. In addition, we will have additional information on meta regarding the methodology, flow and text of the survey for each of the 5 countries done so far.
- Dec 6 2016
- Published Mexico data on Figshare and created wiki page for documentation.
- Completed documentation and added reference to Insights page. Full data is here
- Dec 13 2016
- Beginning Nigeria data release process
- Moved to lower priority for a few days while I complete the Iraqi survey contract and dual-survey strategy
- Feb 3 2016
- Published full data set for Nigeria. It's available here
Create phone survey presentation for Q3 [Phone surveys]
This is our promised follow-up presentation mentioned in the Oct metrics meeting. The goal is to review more of the important survey results outside of just the awareness issue we discussed in the initial Oct metrics meeting.
- November 2016
- Decided to move the scheduled date to Nov 30th to allow enough time for development and practice.
- Next steps:
- Finalize description with Adele and reserve space
- Review data for key points to make
- Build POV and Decker outline for talk
- November 23, 2016
- Moving the presentation date to Q3 to prioritize the release of the full survey data before the presentation.
- On hold pending the release of the phone survey data on Meta and review of findings with the New Readers team