The Tech News weekly summaries help you monitor recent software changes likely to impact you and your fellow Wikimedians. Subscribe
Latest tech news from the Wikimedia technical community. Please inform other users about these changes. Not all changes will affect you. Translations are available.
Recent software changes
- The latest version of MediaWiki (1.24wmf7) was added to test wikis and MediaWiki.org on May 29. It will be added to non-Wikipedia wikis on June 3, and to all Wikipedias on June 5 (calendar).
- CirrusSearch was enabled as the primary search method on all Wikipedias with fewer than 100,000 pages on May 30. 
- Templates that redirect to other templates now get the TemplateData of their target. 
- The toolbar of the PageTriage extension will no longer be visible after you save an edit with VisualEditor.  
- VisualEditor now checks if your browser supports SVG files to avoid displaying broken icons. 
- There is now a new type for TemplateData parameters:
date for dates and times in the ISO 8601 format. 
Future software changes
- MediaViewer will be enabled on the German (de) and English (en) Wikipedias on June 3. Feedback is welcome.
- You will soon see a warning if you visit a contributions page for a user that does not exist.  
- The search tab will soon be removed from user preferences. You will be able to set your search preferences on Special:Search.  
- You will soon see a label next to the little triangle arrow for the Actions menu in the Vector skin (screenshot).  
- For about 20 minutes on May 29, all wikis were broken due to a configuration error. 
Tech news prepared by tech ambassadors and posted by MediaWiki message delivery • Contribute • Translate • Get help • Give feedback • Subscribe or unsubscribe.