Tech

From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Timezone Warning and Another One[edit]

Hello, All!

I have a wiki site in Hebrew, and I now get the following Warning message, without any change I did in the code:

Warning: main() [function.main]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CST/-6.0/no DST' instead in /home/dorotinf/public_html/wikigenia/LocalSettings.php on line 77

Notice: Use of undefined constant ‘pdf’ - assumed '‘pdf’' in /home/dorotinf/public_html/wikigenia/LocalSettings.php on line 77

Line 77 has nothing to do with timezone, it does include the pdf thing. You can have a look at the file here.

I use Mediawiki 1.22.5, with PHP 5.3.29

How do I resolve these issues?

Thanks, --Arnonh75 (talk) 07:54, 25 November 2018 (UTC)

@Arnonh75: Dropbox says “File is uploading…”. Please check what happened, or just make the file available on the web server, e.g. by copying it to LocalSettings.php.txt (make sure to delete any sensitive information, e.g. database password, before publishing the file on the web). —Tacsipacsi (talk) 11:00, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
Not sure why, I couldn't put it on the server in an accessible way... Here's another attempt for the DropBox link. I hope it's ok now.
Arnonh75 (talk) 20:42, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
@Arnonh75: I don’t know what’s the problem with the timezone, but the PDF error is because you wrote ‘pdf’ instead of 'pdf'—note the straight apostrophes, programming languages never use curly ones. —Tacsipacsi (talk) 23:00, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
Thanks for that. Apparently, the host of the site should have done something for enabling PDF extensions, and the problem is now fixed. Thanks much! 132.66.30.28 08:14, 26 November 2018 (UTC)

Lua Memory Limits on Incubator[edit]

Have the Lua memory limits or memory management on Incubator changed in the past three or four months? I have a large page under construction (incubator:Wp/nod/User:RichardW57/sandbox) which had paused since 25 August as I investigated a transliteration issue, though I did make a minor change on 30 September. On resuming work, I found that rendering was failing with "Lua error: not enough memory", which I had not noticed before. I had not changed the page since 30 September. I would have noticed the problem as soon as it started happening, as the problem is happening during transliteration (from Tai Tham to Thai) as my recent efforts have mostly been concentrated on getting the transliteration to work. It is easier to get the Thai transliteration proof-read.

A very minor change may have caused the problem, unless the garbage collector also compacts memory. I have some large strings (holding half the whole page as it should finally appear), and memory fragmentation could be causing me problems. Rule-based transliteration takes dozens of passes (see incubator:Module:Wp/nod/Translit2 if interested in the details). Is there any way to check if I am approaching limits? The English wiktionary reports Lua usage when editing - is there some preference I should be setting to see usage here? I may have to split the draft document for reasons of style. To progress work, I have temporarily split the document at section boundaries (into incubator:Wp/nod/User:RichardW57/sandbox/pt1 etc.); transliteration completes without reported error for each section separately, which may be a solution I need to implement.

I've switched off the collection of debugging information that wasn't being output; that's approximately halved my memory usage with a working garbage collector, and the page now renders. However, it would still be useful to have some indication of how near the limit I come, though that may be tricky to produce if I am indeed relying on the garbage collector. --RichardW57 (talk) 21:53, 18 December 2018 (UTC)