User talk:Mdennis (WMF)
Beginning of MassMessage, end of EdwardsBot
Hi. You're being contacted as you're listed as an EdwardsBot user.
With over 400,000 edits to Wikimedia wikis, EdwardsBot has served us well; however EdwardsBot will no longer perform local or global message delivery after December 31, 2013.
Upcoming IdeaLab Events: IEG Proposal Clinics
Signed request for "Office Action" 'qua' article "India Against Corruption"
To: Maggie Dennis <firstname.lastname@example.org> (Senior Community Advocate, Wikimedia Foundation)
Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 1:19 PM
fwd: to various concerned persons
ELECTRONICALLY SIGNED COMMUNICATION per Section 2(1)(ta) Information Technology Act 2000 r/w Rule 3(4) of Information Technology (Intermediaries Guidelines) Rules, 2011 issued for redressal of grievance under the laws of India.
Dear Ms. Dennis
In terms of Wikimedia Policy [wikimedia.org/wiki/EN:Wikipedia:Office_actions], please be informed as under and act accordingly on behalf of Wikimedia Foundation.
That Mr. Sarbajit Roy is the National Convenor, since 2007, of the popular movement (including all its various campaigns and avatars) described as "India Against Corruption" @"IAC". That Mr. Roy and his Co-convenors of the India Against Corruption movement are the only persons authorised to use our movement's name or permit its further usage.
As IAC has not received any acknowledgment of previous communications addressed to you by your name, IAC is now constrained to formally convey the following signed request for an official edit to be immediately made by the Wikimedia Foundation ("WMF") concerning the article "India Against Corruption" on the English Language Wikipedia project. The said article is hosted on WMF computer servers and published by WMF computer resources and is viewable everywhere within the territory of India where India's cyber laws (and also other laws of India) apply.
To remove all doubts that it is WMF's hosting and publication, IAC brings to your notice that the article (hereinafter called the "impugned article") is accessible in India using the URLs (communication links)
- "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Against_Corruption" etc.
That IAC is also aggrieved that WMF's servers are used to store, upload and distribute large quantities of grossly obscene and pornographic content/ high-definition media and that our movement's name is thereby getting sullied by publication of the impugned article by WMF's pornographic websites/servers.
That IAC wishes to bring to your notice from 23.November 2013 onwards the WMF's impugned article was completely rewritten by the registered WMF "User" Sitush . IAC says that the content uploaded and shared by WMF's User is false, inaccurate, defamatory, libelous, grossly disparaging, promotes impersonation and passes off impersonators of India Against Corruption as the real article.
On coming to know about these inaccurate edits to the article, volunteers of India Against Corruption, from 16th December 2013 onwards complained about the impugned article to the designated "Contact Us" email ID for affected article subjects and thereafter availed each and every internal dispute resolution forum proposed to us by Wikimedia's volunteers and site administrators to resolve the issue with WMF's user Sitush.
That the extent of IAC's bonafides can be gauged by that India Against Corruption volunteers even submitted to Wikimedia's ultimate dispute resolution mechanism "Mediation", a dispute resolution process conducted by a highly experienced and trained Wikimedia Administrator under WMF's rules and policies. It was repeatedly made clear to the parties by the Mediator that the article would have to comply with WMF's policies. It is pertinent that both IAC and User:Sitush had agreed to mediation to resolve the content dispute so that the mediation could commence.
The communication link (URL) to the Mediation record is http://wikimedia.org/wiki/EN:Wikipedia:Requests_for_mediation/India_Against_Corruption
The agreed core issues of the content dispute requiring Mediation is as follows:-
A) "Whether the appellations "Team Anna" and "India Against Corruption" unambiguously refer to the same entity or not"
B) "Whether defamatory / disparaging statements emanating from misuse of the India Against Corruption's title(s) by third parties should be associated with the actual India Against Corruption movement in Wikipedia's article(s), or if these should be taken to articles on Anna Hazare, Team Anna, Jantantra Morcha etc. ?"
India Against Corruption volunteers vigorously prosecuted these issues during Mediation, and WMF's User Sitush then stated that he would not be participating in further Mediation proceedings. User:Sitush thereafter ignored all "pings" by the Mediator to rejoin the Mediation.
Unfortunately, WMF's User:Sitush still continues to refuse to remove the content he has published about India Against Corruption and insists that Mr. Anna Hazare and Mr. Hazare's Team Members are the India Against Corruption movement.
Recently, when an India Against Corruption volunteer posted a public retraction dated 27.March.2014 by India's oldest English newspaper "The Hindu" on the impugned article's talk page for further discussion on this issue, WMF's User:Sitush repeatedly deleted IAC's discussion proposal  and  to prevent any discussion on his offensive content.
It is pertinent to mention that throughout the duration of the Dispute Resolution process, which culminated on 25.Feb.2014  with the Mediator's remarks
Wikipedia:Requests for mediation/India Against Corruption Non-participation of some parties. Closed by mediator. Sunray (talk) 14:41, 25 February 2014 (UTC)
that no India Against Corruption volunteer / editor touched the impugned article as a token of our good faith. However, now our volunteers are getting increasingly disturbed by the grossly offensive and impersonatory nature of WMF's impugned article which is affecting their daily organisational activities and their own identity is thereby under a cloud. Our volunteers are unable to understand why WMF continues to abuse IAC and defame IAC in this manner while continuing to pass off our impersonators as the India Against Corruption despite the WMF User:Sitush conceding his inability to defend his edits and his sources and withdrawing from Mediation.
IAC is therefore formally requesting you through this digitally signed email to officially edit the impugned article and remove / disable all references to Mr. Anna Hazare and his "team" from it, preferably within the next 36 hours as required by India's cyber law such as the "Information Technology (Intermediaries Guidelines), Rules, 2011".
IAC is also marking a copy of this email to Ms. Bishakha Dutta, the WMF's Trustee in India. To Ms. Dutta IAC lays great stress on the vast amounts of grossly obscene / pornographic content which exists on the WMF's servers which are used to attract visitors from India to WMF servers to read WMF's abusive and fabricated articles like that on India Against Corruption.
IAC is greatly concerned that such grossly offensive pornographic content and imagery long existing on WMF servers and curated by WMF Administrators and distributed without suitable precautions including to minors and children and without any mandatory WMF Grievance Officer for Indians to complain to, is capable of inciting simple / unlettered Indian folk to commit vile cognisable offences including, rape, murder, bestiality, sodomy and other unnatural perversions etc.
With best wishes
India Against Corruption
- User:HRA1924, I have not read the bulk of this notice, because the subject line alone is enough to tell me that I cannot help you. While I am authorized to enact Office Actions, I may only do so on direction of the legal team. While it is part of my role to help people reach out to the appropriate staff, since you have carbon copied me in your letters to our lawyers and our Board of Directors, I know that you are already in contact with the best people to whom I could connect you. I can only advise you to make your request to them. --Maggie Dennis (WMF) (talk) 11:46, 5 April 2014 (UTC)
- Dear Ms. Dennis. IAC has approached you for an "official edit" as an "office action". This is an internal administrative action by the Secretariat of the WMF. The WMF "Office" is free to seek advice from anybody, including WMF's Legal Team or the Office of the General Counsel or external lawyers (say in India), before accepting, or denying, IAC's request. Office Action is an important procedural stage, and it is essential that IAC knows why our request for redaction cannot be acceded to, so that a proper legal notice of claim can be sent to WMF, if so required. In other words, "Office Action" cannot be avoided or substituted by a request to "Legal".HRA1924 (talk) 13:52, 5 April 2014 (UTC)
- Dear Ms. Dennis. IAC shall make this very simple for you and WMF
- A)WMF's registered User:Sitush from 23.Nov.2013 onwards has constantly asserted that one Mr. Anna Hazare and his team are/were the real India Against Corruption movement ("IAC")
- B) We disagreed, and said that Mr. Hazare and his "team" are impersonators and were never part of IAC movement
- C) The content dispute reached "Mediation" conducted by an expert Wikipedia Administrator to enforce Wikipedia's policies
- D) User:Sitush could not defend his content and withdrew, and the Mediation was closed for reason of his withdrawal
- E) The content remains in the article because the "User" Sitush regularly misuses WP:ANI as a "Wikimobocracy"  for its dramatic effects
- F) In these circumstances when both the Wikipedia Administration as well as the affected person (IAC) have tried their level best to work with the concerned WMF User but without success, the only bonafide course of action now open to WMF is to immediately disable the disputed content as a courtesy to IAC. HRA1924 (talk) 15:53, 5 April 2014 (UTC)
- Dear Ms. Dennis, India Against Corruption is a small body of persons and values its privacy. Since Dec 2013 WMF's website Administrators have had actual knowledge of our claim that the article "India Against Corruption" is libelous and promotes impersonation of our body, but failed to remove the text as we requested. Accordingly, in addition to requesting that the disputed content be disabled / removed immediately, IAC also hereby asks WMF for a retraction/apology for the harm caused to our movement by the continued publication of the false content. Said retraction/apology to be issued by a senior officer of WMF. This additional request is issued without prejudice. Please convey this additional request to the persons who shall decide on our request for Office Action. HRA1924 (talk) 01:33, 6 April 2014 (UTC)