Wikimedia New York City
Wikimedia New York City is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which serves as the local Wikimedia chapter for New York City and the New York metropolitan area, as well as for all Wikimedians across the Northeast US who find it most convenient to participate in meetings in New York City.
Next meeting: Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC Sunday December 14, 2014.
|Keep in touch!|
|Mailing list||Wikimedia NYC area mailing list|
|Website||Wikimedia NYC Website|
|Donations||Bitcoin and PayPal accepted, visit our main donation page for more information.|
- 1 You can join!
- 2 Next events
- 3 Recent Events
- 4 Yearly events
- 5 Ongoing projects
- 6 Legal standing
- 7 Media
- 8 Organization
- 9 Contact Us
You can join!
If you do not live in New York City, you may still participate in this chapter's projects and meetings online. If you do live in New York City, you are welcome to join this chapter's projects and meetings in person. Feel free to ask questions on the talk page then join the mailing list to start receiving news about events and to participate in discussions.
- Wikiconference USA hosted by Wikimedia NYC, May 30th-June 1st, 2014 at New York Law School.
- Harlem Library Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon on March 6, 2014.
- International Success: Art + Feminism Edit-a-Thon at Eyebeam Art and Technology Center and 30 other Satellite Locations
- The complete outcomes of all satellite events are being aggregated on a follow-up pages:
- Wikipedia Takes Brooklyn, a Wikipedia Loves Monuments Edit-a-Thon and Photohunt at the Brooklyn Public Library Central Branch with METRO Library Council
- Wikipedia Tour of Consumer Reports with WiR Lane Raspberry
- October Chapter Meetup
- Greenwich Village Wikipedia Edit-a-Thon at Jefferson Market Library with METRO Library Council
- Free Culture Alliance NYC
- Growing local GLAMs with the Metropolitan New York Library Council Wikipedian-in-Residence project. Aug, 2013-continuing.
- Partnership with WiR Lane Raspberry at Consumer Reports. WikiProject Consumer Reports
Wikimedia New York City participates in the Wikimania conference which happens annually in July.
Wikipedia Loves Libraries
Wikipedia Loves Libraries is the name of an ongoing effort to promote collaboration between the Wikipedia community and libraries, and during Open Access Week in the last full week of October this chapter participates in that project by having a meetup in a library.
Wikimedia New York City organizes a yearly picnic, the Wiknic.
Wiki Loves Monuments
Main Article: Wiki Loves Monuments
In September Wikimedia New York City participates in Wiki Loves Monuments, which is a photo tour. The members take pictures of local monuments and upload those into Commons as part of the project's contest.
Every other month there is a salon in which people in New York City meet in person to discuss Wikipedia topics. See past events here.
Campus ambassador program
Wikimedia New York City sends campus ambassadors to schools to do Wikipedia outreach.
- en:Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/Medicine October 2013
- en:Education Program:Harvard University/Obgyn bootcamp (April 2014)
Supporting Institutional Partnerships and Wikipedians in Residence
Wikimedia New York City supports Wikipedians in Residence at local organizations.
- Metropolitan New York Library Council Wikipedian-in-Residence project Aug-Dec, 2013. Dorothy Howard
- Consumer Reports with WikiProject Consumer Reports Wikipedian-in-Residence project. Lane Rasberry
- New York Public Library for the Performing Arts Wikipedian-in-Residence. David Goodman
The chapter was incorporated as Wikimedia New York City, Inc. in New York State on July 7, 2009 as a not-for-profit corporation. It later received its 501(c)(3) determination from the Internal Revenue Service on December 22, 2011, retroactively to the date of incorporation. The Chapters Committee of the Wikimedia Foundation recognizes this group as an official chapter.
Budget and financial history are at Wikimedia New York City/Finances.
The original incorporators signed our non-profit charter in March 2009.
We're working with pioneering regional neighbors throughout the Northeast US, and hope to cooperate with them and other US chapters in future through a Wikimedia United States Chapters Council. We're also working with more local partners through the Free Culture Alliance NYC umbrella group.
- StreetFilms: Wikipedia Takes Manhattan
- "Wikipedia's Deep Dive Into a Library Collection." New York Times. October 20, 2011.
Since August 2007, the New York City meetups have been held on a roughly bimonthly schedule.
Our current board are:
For the list of other participants, please see Wikimedia New York City/Participants.
Meeting minutes are here.
- Wikimedia New York City/2012July25
- Wikimedia New York City/2012August29
- Wikimedia New York City/2012October03
We are very interested in contacts with outside individuals and other organizations in the local community.
If you have a project you want to work on with us, this is a great opportunity to get acquainted. If you want someone to give a talk or teach a class with an inside view of Wikipedia, meet your volunteers. And if you just have any questions, we'd be glad to try to answer them.
Our organizational contact email is wm-nyc wikimedia.org