This is the page for a proposed chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation for California. Anyone is welcome to help make this a reality. Just sign on the roster if you want to help!
|Articles of Incorporation||Bylaws||Projects||To Do List|
There is a knowledge gap about Wikimedia, especially with regards to the schools. Work remains to be done in California to fill that gap. By helping to make this chapter a reality, you can help bring the Wikimedian mission to our brothers and sisters in California. We can bring a knowledge revolution to the state of California and make it the most educated state in the Union. To modernize the famous quote by JFK, "Ask not what wiki can do for you, but what you can do for wiki".
Further information: Step-by-step chapter creation guide
- Write a mission statement in line with http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mission_statement
- There is a discussion about the purpose and goals of the Chapter on the mailing list
- Proposed: The mission of the Wikimedia California Chapter is to assist the Foundation in empowering and engaging people around the world by implementing software and hardware systems to provide, and holding events to encourage collection and development of, educational content under a free license or in the public domain, and to disseminate them effectively and globally.
- Write the bylaws
- We could model our bylaws after the bylaws of Wikimedia New York City except that they require face-to-face business meetings, and we want to be able to conduct chapter business on-wiki
- Prepare an initial set of Foundation grant applications, which may help clarify questions about anticipated projects (note: these applications are nominally due May 15)
- Submit bylaws to the Chapters Committee for approval
- At this point, ask for the $575 in necessary filing fees including funds necessary to open a bank account, from the Chapters Committee
- Register with the authorities
- See the instructions here: Forming a Nonprofit Corporation in California
- Also adopt the Foundation's values statements, perhaps with an addition saying we are opposed to inequality and other causes of the digital divide?
The Chapter mailing list is email@example.com. Click here to subscribe to this list, and be connected to Chapter discussions and updates. There are (Archives) of all mailing list discussion that can be used to catch up on previous discussions.
Roster (Join the cause!)
If this interests you, just sign below.
- Geoff Plourde 05:43, 1 April 2008 (UTC)
- Durova 11 August 2008 and 17:42, 5 May 2010 (UTC)
- Cam Vilay 04:18 PM, 18 June 2009 (UTC)
- Alison ❤ 01:14, 26 October 2009 (UTC)
- Lottamiata 22:03, 4 March 2010 (UTC)
- jdmorgan 19:46, 13 March 2010 (UTC)
- James Salsman 23:34, 29 March 2010 (UTC)
- stephen 00:33, 30 March 2010 (UTC)
- Tjmayerinsf 17:47, 7 April 2010 (UTC)
- User:MBrad AKA Meadowlark Bradsher 19:30, 20 April 2010 (UTC)
- Girl2k 04:11, 5 May 2010 (UTC)
- iFaqeer/Sabahat Ashraf 05:01, 5 May 2010 (UTC)
- ChrisRebert 08:23, 5 May 2010 (UTC)
- Binksternet 12:37, 5 May 2010 (UTC)
- Frank Schulenburg 18:14, 5 May 2010 (UTC) in my individual role as a volunteer, not as a staff member.
- Catherine 16:36, 6 May 2010 (UTC)
- Kul Wadhwa 20:55, 18 May 2010 (UTC) in my individual role as a volunteer, not as a staff member
- Mike Nassau 6 June 2010
- NativeForeigner 04:43, 29 June 2010 (UTC)
- Mikemoral (talk) en.wn 01:32, 27 August 2010 (UTC)
- User:Aude - as a supporter or supporting member; We are organizing a chapter in Washington DC area or a regional group w/ Wikimedia NYC. I'm also involved with Wikimedia NYC chapter. I support there being local or regional groups but interested in some way that we can coordinate and work together nationally when that makes sense to reduce duplication of efforts, etc. (see Wikimedia United States Chapters Council)Wikimedia United States Chapters Council
- Juliana 06:19, 20 June 2011 (UTC)
- PKM 20:43, 11 July 2011 (UTC)
- Ethraen 01:39, 1 February 2012 (UTC)
- Asaf Bartov (WMF Grants) talk 23:08, 5 March 2012 (UTC) in my individual role as a volunteer, not as a staff member (I will be a rank-and-file member only)
- Olegkagan (talk) 21:47, 26 July 2012 (UTC)
- King of ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ 11:20, 29 October 2012 (UTC)
- Niels Olson (talk) 20:16, 8 November 2012 (UTC)
- --Saehrimnir (talk) 14:08, 4 December 2012 (UTC)
- OR drohowa (talk) 15:21, 14 January 2014 (UTC) (I am involved with Wikimedia NYC and live in NY but I grew up in the Northwest and wish to remain informed about this group's activities).
- Ɱ (talk) 18:45, 19 August 2014 (UTC)
For more information, please contact:
- Geoff Plourde (User:Geoff Plourde) Email: geo.plrdyahoo.com