Amical Wikimedia/April 2014
- 10 hours edit-a-thon for 100 design students
During April we did the central activity of the project where we are mixing GLAM and EDU with the Design Museum of Barcelona. Around 400 students in 25 classrooms of 13 design schools are improving Wikipedia Articles. On April 25 we did a 10 hours long design editathon (organized in groups from 10 to 20 people) at the Documentation Center of the Museum. Click here to see more pics. It was the opening day of the documentation center so students could behave as beta testers. One of the good points was doing it graduatelly with small groups so we could help them personally and also that they could take the books back home (15 days free-rent), so Wikipedia articles are being improved since then. We also did a backstage pass to the warehouse of the documentation center and a general guided tour to the building.
- April 3rd- Conference: Projectes voluntaris i col·laboratius de traducció (Volunteer driven translation projects) at Col·legi de Doctors i Llicenciats (url): 25 attendees - Kippelboy
- 28th January to 14th April — Il·lustraciència Award from Associació Catalana de Comunicació Científica (Catalan Asociation of Science Comunication) give to the participants the option to accept Wikimedia Commons upload of their artworks. Post in the blog 12th february. Results: 211 artworks liberated (upload soon)
- April 10th - Public presentation of Wikiproject Barcelona's popular culture (done in collaboration with Town council)
- April 25th - 10 hours design editathon at the Museu del Disseny de Barcelona. (100 attendees)
- 1st April - Joan Brossa Foundation releases wikiquote material of the artist and help us referencing existing one.
- 28th April - "Colita: la reivindicació de la mirada" conference press pass for a Wikimedia Commons contributor. Judesba
- Ongoing project: Wikiproject Public Libraries
- Ongoing project: Wikiproject Miró
- Ongoing project: Víctor Balaguer Museum project
- Ongoing project: Music Museum in Barcelona
- Ongoing project: Museu Morera in Lleida
- Ongoing project: CCCB, Contemporary cultural center in Barcelona
- Some other smaller GLAMWIki projects
- April 3rd - Scientific Committee meeting for organizing "Libraries and heritage conference" at Ateneu Barcelonès in Nov 20. Kippelboy
- April 4th - GLAMwiki projects planning meeting with Museu Blau-Natural History Museum in Barcelona. Vàngelis Villar
- April 22d - GLAMwiki projects planning meeting with National Archaeology Museum in Tarragona- Kippelboy & Lluis_tgn
- April 22d - GLAMwiki projects planning meeting with local Hemerotèque in Tarragona- Kippelboy & Lluis_tgn
- April 22d - GLAMwiki follow up meeting with Victor Balaguer Museum- Kippelboy
- April 28th - Meeting with Lavinia Productora to talk about a project proposal- Kippelboy
- April 29th - Follow up Meeting with Head of Catalan Public Libraries Network- Kippelboy
- April 30th - Introduction GLAMWIKI Meeting with Sitges Museums Director- Kippelboy
- 1st Wikipedian in Residence in a EU University.
User Jey is the brand new Wikipedian in Residence of the Open University of Catalonia. Project has been designed in phases. On this phase 1 his main goals will be mapping the already published Open Materials in the universty (CC-BY-SA docs, Opencoursewares,...), specially focusing on Audiovisual materials (videos). Also mapping the teachers who are already doing Wikipedia-related projects and trying to scale this opportunities to the rest of the proffessors. The first phase of the residency will last from April to July 2014.
- April 8th - Wikipedia Editing course at La Bisbal d'Empordà Highschool - Anskar
- April 24th - Kick of meeting for the First ever Wikipedian in Residence in an European University (UOC) - Kippelboy Jey
- April 28th - Wikipedia presentation to 35 teachers of the Barceloneta high-school, organized by Barceloneta library - Kippelboy
- April 28th - Wikipedia presentation to 80 schoolars (9 & 10 y.o.) of la Garriga (els Pinetons school) - Amadalvarez
- April 29th - Amical's representation at the awards ceremony of the websalpuntcat award (Teenage Catalan language websites contest) - Kippelboy
- April 1th to 30th. Exhibition wikiArS: contribució de les escoles d'art i disseny a Viquipèdia (wikiArS: contributions from art & design schools to Wikipedia) in the Badalona central Library Can Casacuberta.
- April 25th. Talk Imatges per a la Viquipèdia: l'aportació de les escoles d'art i disseny (Images for Wikipedia: the art & design schools contribution) in the Badalona central Library Can Casacuberta.
- April 29th. Exhibition of the illustration of hipotetic Augustus sculpture by Cristina Toro next to marble toe discovered in Tarragona roman temple. During the talk Una estàtua d'August a Tarraco? by Professor Joaquín Ruíz de Arbulo at Nacional Arqueological Museum of Tarragona.
- Ongoing project: Wikiproject Design Museum in Barcelona (1st year: 400 students)
- Ongoing project: WikiArS
- Ongoing project: GRACMON wikiproject (2nd year: around 75 students)
- Ongoing project: ESMUC wikiproject (1st year: around 40/50 students)
- Ongoing project: Viquiclàssics Wikiproject (1st year: around 50 students)
- April 8th - Wikipedian in Residence at Open University of Catalonia planning meeting- Kippelboy
- April 8th - Design edit-a-thon planning meeting- Kippelboy
- April 8th - Wikipedia introduction meeting with Dr in Maths didactics from UPC (Joan Gómez)- Kippelboy
- April 10th - Meeting at Nacional Arqueological Museum of Tarragona with Museum curators and four students from School of Art that are in intership with Amical. See the assignments here. Lluis_tgn, Dvdgmz
- April 28th - Meeting at Llotja, supervision of 10 students in internship, with teachers Alicia Gallego and Elvira Dominguez. Dvdgmz
- April 29th - Meeting with I.Labastida from UB. Exploring options of participation in wikiArS. Dvdgmz
- Catalan Cultural Challenge
On april 15ht ended the first edition of multilingual Catalan Cultural Challenge on Wikipedia: 792 articles created or expanded by 50 volunteers in 92 languages. It was a public writing competition around Catalan culture. The goal of this first edition was to improve and translate this list of 50 notable people into as many languages as possible. Winners got great Prizes and Barnstars. It run from 00:01 16 March until 23:59 15 April 2014 (CET UTC+01:00). The contest was simple in structure, based on a KISS point system: You get points while improving articles, with the goal for each participant to gain as many points as possible. Our primary mission and goal (Amical) is for the sum of all human knowledge to be available in Catalan and for all knowledge about Catalan culture to also be available in every language. This project has been just one of our first international steps.
- April 10th - Wikipedia workshop at Sabadell Astronomical Group. Leptictidium Davidpar
- April 10-13th - Attendance to Wikimedia Conference 2013 in Berlin: Kippelboy Arnaugir Micru and F3RaN
- April 10th - Wikiwomen project planing meeting with Barcelona Towncouncil Gender gap deputy and programme managers.- Kippelboy
- Amical is awarded with National Culture Prize
The National Council for Arts and Culture (CoNCA) decided to award one of its ten annual prizes to Amical Wikimedia in recognition for its work of promoting Catalan language and culture and the free knowledge. The award ceremony will be celebrated on June 2nd with the presence of the Catalan president, Artur Mas. The prize is supplied with 15,000 euro.
- April 16th — Monthly meeting via IRC chat of the Catalan Wikimedia community.
- The Jury formed by Arnaugir, KRLS, Quimgil and MuRe decides to grant all 7 candidates which asked for receiving a scolarship to attend Wikimania 2014 in London. The initial expected amount was €350 (for each one of the 10 available scolparships), but since fewer have been granted, the amount has increased to €500. The grantees are the following users:
- Renewed our presence in the Census of entities for the promotion of the language of the Catalan Government ("Cens d'entitats de foment de la llengua"), which exempts donations for Amical from paying some taxes
- Finished Amical's first quarterly FDC report.
- Amical joins the Statement of Intent proposed by the Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU.
- April 19th: La nació de Tlön, Màrius Serra. La Vanguardia
- Wikiars: joves creadores i coneixement lliure. Judit Montenegro. Weekly newspaper La Directa number 359.
- WLE coverage: Europa Press, Generalitat de Catalunya
- Coverage of WiR at the Open University of Catalonia : La Vanguardia, Barcelona TV, UOC
- National Prize for Culture coverage: La Vanguardia, Cultura 21, El Confidencial, VilaWeb, Europa Press, El País, El Periódico, El Punt Avui, 324.cat, Ara, Llengua catalana, Ara, Ara editorial.
- April 14th: Una editorial alemanya vol llançar la Viquipèdia en paper, Ara
- "Dia Internacional de la Dona", Revista de Palafrugell, 246, p. 17, on WikiWomen Edit-a-thon