Brazil Program/Reports/June Report 2013
- Hiring of the new education team:
- Offboarding of Everton: after 1,5 year working with us, Everton Zanella Alvarenga has ended the transition period and left WMF for Open Knowledge Foundation. Everton has built the education program from scratch in Brazil, developing the pilot and contributing very much to the catalyst program.
- Onboarding of Rodrigo Padula and Celio Costa:
- Celio Costa Usuário:Sturm has been a Wikipedian since 2004 and is one of the most active editors in the Portuguese Wikipedia. He'll be working as the consultant for Outreach. Holding a bachelor degree at History and Linguistics, Celio has consistently promoted Wikimedia projects as a volunteer and also the wiki practice and use as a professional.
- Rodrigo Padula is a researcher at the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, where he leads initiatives and implementation of the Open Source Technologies Laboratory - LAPTEL. For almost 8 years he’s been collaborating with Mozilla Foundation, promoting Web technology and internet freedom.
We're very excited in having them onbard with us!
- Second phase of data collection on CAPTCHA took place: https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usu%C3%A1rio%28a%29:HAndrade_%28WMF%29/Pesquisa_Vandalismo/Segunda_Fase
- Under development:
- Configuration of Portuguese Wikipedia Data for automatic update on Limn
- localization of Snuggle for the PT-WP
- Timeline: advancements on timeline prototype connecting events to data on the PT-WP: https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usu%C3%A1rio%28a%29:JXavier_%28WMF%29/Linha_do_tempo
Correio da Wikipedia: a site notice about the community newsletter - Correio da Wikipedia, recently reactivated - was published and daily accesses increased from 50 per day to up to almost 4300 a day. http://stats.grok.se/pt/latest90/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Correio_da_Wikip%C3%A9dia
Participation in the International Free Software Forum (FISL) - Oona, Henrique and Rodrigo Padula were in FISL to promote Wikimedia projects and discuss potential partnerships (with both private and public institutions). Henrique's presentation was featured on a tech website http://www.techtudo.com.br/noticias/noticia/2013/07/fisl-14-analista-da-wikipedia-ensina-internautas-contribuir-para-site.html
Draft on project and budget shared for analyses: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Programa_Catalisador_do_Brasil/Planejamento_2012-2013/Parcerias/A%C3%A7%C3%A3o_Educativa/Projeto