CIS-A2K/Reports/CIS-A2K Quarterly Report 5/Kannada
55 books of noted Kannada author Niranjana were relicensed under Creative Commons Share-Alike (CC-by-SA) by her daughter Tejaswini Niranjana who is the copyright holder of the work during this period. Possibly this is the largest ever content donation under CC license by a single author in India. During this quarter, activities began with the CIS-A2K partner institutions. One new partnership has been initiated with St Aloysius College, Mangaluru. Generating articles in Kannada Wikipedia by taking inputs from the Mysore University's encyclopedia (which is currently on Kannada Wikisource) continued. The government of Karnataka re-licensed 22 books published by it under CC license during this period in which CIS-A2K played a crucial role for license migration. Three outreach sessions in various places in Karnataka were conducted during this period to instill growth in Kannada Wikipedia. A few projects were initiated in Kannada Wikipedia for improving the quality of articles, creating new articles on mechanical engineering and other science related topics.
- Release of Niranjana's books under CC - Late Niranjana is a famous writer of Kannada. 55 books authored by him were released under CC-BY-SA by his daughter Tejaswini Niranjana. This is possibly the largest content donation by a single author in India.
- Partnership with St Aloysius College Mangaluru - CIS-A2K signed a MoU with St Aloysius College, Mangaluru, for implementing Wikipedian UG Education program at their college. CIS-A2K will help in designing the program and training the faculty and staff.
- Partnership with University of Mysore - The partnership with University of Mysore continued during this quarter also. A workshop was conducted for the students of Master of Communication and Journalism on editing Kannada Wikipedia. Efforts have been started to include Wikipedia as a subject for the BEd course.
- Christ University Partnership - The partnership with Christ University continued this quarter also. UG students of second semester continued digitisation of Kannada text in Kannada Wikisource as part of their assignments for internal assessments. They took up the task of digitising the pages of Mysore University Kannada Encyclopaedia into Kannada Unicode text. Students of fourth semester will write article on topic from their subject of study in Kannada Wikipedia.
- Content donation by GoK - Dept of Kannada & Culture, Govt of Karnataka, re-releaseed another 22 Kannada books under CC-BY-SA on Dec 27, 2014. CIS-A2K put lot of efforts in convincing the department to achieve this milestone. Softcopies of thse books have been procured by CIS-A2K. They have to be uploaded into Kannada Wikisource.
- Partnership with Karnataka Folklore University - Karnataka Folklore University, Shiggavi, near Haveri, is the first and only University in India of its kind. CIS-A2K had first meeting with the VC on the possibility of partnership on many areas. A proposal has been sent after the meeting.
- Project on improving quality - Creation of monthly stub list and focusing on improving the quality of articles in Kannada Wikipedia has been initiated during this quarter.
- Projects on topic specific article creation - Two projects have been initiated in Kannada Wikipedia wherein articles will be created on specific topics -one on mechanical engineering and other one science topics. The topics for these articles have been chosen from the syllabus of respective courses studied by students in Karnataka.
- Outreach programs - a total of 3 outreach programs conducted during this period. The programs were conducted at Mysore and Bangalore.
Note: At the time of writing this report (January 19, 2015), the statistics for December 2014 for Kannada Wikipedia are not available. hence we have taken November 2014 figures for December also.
During this quarter there was not so drastic improvement in Kannada Wikipedia
Total number of editors grew by 12 which is comparable with the growth in other quarters. There is no remarkable change in the growth.
The number of new editors was 3, 9 and 9 respectively for October, November and December. These are slightly better than the previous quarter.
The number of active editors was 18, 32 and 32 respectively for October, November and December. The trends are almost the same as previous quarter.
Very Active Editors
The number of very active editors was 8, 5 and 5 respectively for October, November and December.
No. of Articles
Total number of articles in Kannada Wikipedia grew from 18121 to 19026 in this quarter. The number of new articles per day was 16 10 and 10 respectively for October, November and December. These are better than the previous quarter values.
Overall the statistics for Kannada Wikipedia has improved slightly in this quarter.