Celtic Knot Conference 2019/Submissions/Developing the Cornish Dictionary
This is an open submission for the Arctic Knot Wikimedia Language Conference 2021.
- Submission no.
- Title of the submission
- Developing the Cornish Dictionary using open source tools and data
- Type of submission (Lightening talk, panel, tutorial/workshop, Presentation)
- Author of the submission
- Davydh Trethewey
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Cornwall Council - Cornish Language Office (Project Support Assistant)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
This presentation descibes the work I have been doing working for the Cornish Language Office in creating a new version of the Standard Written Form of Cornish dictionary website published by Akademi Kernewek, the Cornish language academy.
It will describe the features required in the new version of the website, and how open source software in Python was used to process the XML data exported from the previous version, and make improvements within the data to support the new website.
I describe our collaboration with Dewi Bryn Jones and Delyth Prys of the Language Technologies Unit@Canolfan Bedwyr in Bangor University, using their software Maes T which has been used previously for Welsh dictionaries including the terminology portal Termau Cymru among other resources. Maes T now also serves as a backend for the Cornish dictionary website.
Some of the Welsh dictionaries and resources based on Maes T have made use of Wikimedia and/or Wikipedia content, and we have applied this for the Cornish terminology entries.
- Theme of session
- Language Data
- Reusing Wiki resources
- Slides or further information (optional)
The presentation slides are available:
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final? FINAL
If you want to give feedback or ask a question, please sign with your username below. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).