Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Archive/SVG editor - a new editor for graphics - with a visual mode and a textual mode
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: Currently there is no online SVG editor in the complete WikiMedia system.
- Who would benefit:
- Firstly the editors of SVG graphics, which will be able to work mobile on simple graphics or online on complex graphics.
- Secondly all users of the Wikipedia, because most probably there will be much more new SVG graphics created.
- Proposed solution:
- Create a new editor for SVG graphics, which provides a visual mode as well as a textual mode and an additional preview mode.
- Building concept - firstly create rapidly a simple functional version of this editor and secondly enhance it continuously in further versions.
- Advert this SVG editor to all editors, to let the user community of this editor rise rapidly and in the course of time even more and more.
- More comments: In my opinion it is already urgent to build this SVG editor.
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Sonne7 (talk) 16:39, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
I have a lot of reservations about creating editors for every single type of content within MediaWiki. It's a huge amount of maintenance overhead and requires a very wide scope of knowledge upon the developers. Why is there no online editor that could easily upload to Wikipedia/Commons ? —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 10:07, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
- Do you know such an online SVG editor? If so, please tell me, that I can check its suitability for the WP/C and its features - thank you in advance. -- Best regards, Sonne7 (talk) 18:43, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
- @Sonne7: Well Google brings up http://www.clker.com/inc/svgedit/svg-editor.html for instance. —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 08:41, 7 November 2018 (UTC)
- @TheDJ & @AKlapper (WMF): Thanks for the two variants with the links to them - interestingly both SVG editors are really the same tool, only in different versions.
- The 1st is the Google version, it has a better detailed layout on the screen, but a very bad functionality, i.e. selection, grouping and zooming does not work properly and additional the local saving of the created SVG image does not work (therefore the saving is only possible via cut&paste from the content in the SVG code view to an other text editor on my local PC).
- The 2nd is the 'mw:Extension:SVGEdit', which is mainly only a reference to the Github version (https://svg-edit.github.io/svgedit/releases/latest/editor/svg-editor.html), which lacks in the detailed screen layout, but the minimal needed functionality (circle, rectangle, selection, grouping, copying, etc.) seems to me to be mostly working correctly, including particularly the local saving of the created SVG image.
- Therefore I would prefer to use the mostly working Github version (I could not find the number of this version) as the generally base for the development of the full working online SVG editor and partially using the detailed screen layout from the Google version (although I found no number of this version) as source for the enhancing of the screen layout for the development of the full working version.
- Hope that a (nearly) full working online SVG editor will be available in the near future, to get the possibility to work online or even mobile on SVG graphics for the Wikipedia. -- Best regards, Sonne7 (talk) 08:37, 8 November 2018 (UTC)