Community Wishlist Survey 2020/Archive/Wiktionary in e-readers and e-book apps
< Community Wishlist Survey 2020 | Archive(Redirected from Community Wishlist Survey 2020/Wiktionary/Wiktionary in e-readers and e-book apps)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Problem: There is no reuse of Wiktionaries' content in e-readers such as Kindle, Nook, Kobo or in epub readers such as Moon+ Reader, EPUB Readers, Pocketbook reader, etc. They use internal dictionaries instead of a better collaborative dictionary.
- Who would benefit: Mobile users.
- Proposed solution: Having an app to use Wiktionary as a dictionary in reading apps. (i'm not sure how this all works, but i hope you get the idea)
- More comments: It is not a core feature but a good way to spread knowledge as a service.
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: DaraDaraDara (talk) 14:22, 8 November 2019 (UTC)
- This proposal may be connected with Lexicographic knowledge as a service, a proposal to develop more format to export the content of Wiktionaries. For an internal dictionary in e-readers, it could be only one conversion, but I imagine there is more work to do in order to convert the data properly. In this process, Dbnary, a RDF conversion of Wiktionary data, could be of some help. Noé (talk) 20:05, 10 November 2019 (UTC)
- DaraDaraDara, thank you for submitting this proposal! It is unfortunately out of scope, so we’ll be unable to take it on. For this work to be possible, structured Wiktionary would need to first be developed. Hopefully, this is something that can be done in the future. Thanks again, and we apologize for any disappointment. --IFried (WMF) (talk) 00:21, 20 November 2019 (UTC)