Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Reading/Increased accessibility
- Problem: Some readers find Wikipedia pages difficult to read due to sight and other reading issues involving colours.
- Who would benefit: Those with sight and reading difficulties.
- Proposed solution: Have an accessibility section on the left-hand side of the page (where Community, Beyond the Web and Tools are located). This would allow readers to quickly and easily change the size of the text in the article, change the font colour from black to a range of other colours and allow the changing of blue links to an alternate colour. You could have Accessibility at the top, then the clickable links underneath: Font size, Font colour, Link colour (and any other accessibility options people wish to add to this). The default font size and colours would still remain as they currently are. If an article has a spoken version this could also be listed in this accessibility section.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Helper201 (talk) 22:57, 25 November 2020 (UTC)
In the years 2016-2019 we've replaced the colors in Wikimedia products to comply with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0/2.1 level AA. Colors are part of a palette defined with these considerations in mind. For a discussion around settings beyond, you're probably looking for something similar to what's described in phab:T91201 – (easily accessible) accessibility settings --Volker E. (WMF) (talk) 20:00, 29 November 2020 (UTC)
- Support Hopefully, that feature gets implemented. MarioSuperstar77 (talk) 20:41, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose Such functionality is already available in browsers. It makes more sense to have centralized configuration of accessibility for the entire browser (or the entire system), not some functionality specific to wikimedia. Martinkunev (talk) 23:48, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Oppose I support accessibility, but the proposer has not explained how browser/operating system support for this is inadequate. Silver hr (talk) 23:55, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support. Meiræ 15:28, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 20:20, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Goultard59 (talk) 17:29, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Fuchs B (talk) 18:13, 12 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support in spirit, but the proposal is too vague. I do think the mentioned Phabricator ticket should get attention. — SMcCandlish ☺ ☏ ¢ >ʌⱷ҅ᴥⱷʌ< 08:01, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support DarkGlow (talk) 21:30, 17 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support S8321414 (talk) 14:36, 21 December 2020 (UTC)