User:Mav/Data Acquisition in GIS notes by maveric149
Data Acquisition in GIS notes by maveric149
Please use these notes in any way allowable by the w:GNU FDL. However, you might want to drop me a line in my talk page after you make a wikipedia article from this information, so that I don't make a similar article from the same data. I also plan on somehow marking the text in this file that has already been incorporated into wikipedia.
Data Acquisition in GIS notes by maveric149/2002-02-22 Lecture
Data Acquisition in GIS notes by maveric149/2002-03-01 Lecture
Data Acquisition in GIS notes by maveric149/2002-03-15 Lecture
Data Acquisition in GIS notes by maveric149/2002-04-05 Lecture
Data Acquisition in GIS notes by maveric149/2002-04-12 Lecture
Data Acquisition in GIS notes by maveric149/Report
Recommended Publications in w:GIS:
Geograhic Data Technology, Geospatial, Geo World, GPS World, GPS Solutions, Geographical Inofomation Systems journal, URISA, (Best)
Recommended Online Datasources
GIS data for the State of California
Federal data source -- good place to check about validity and status metadata from federal GIS works
The whole is the sum of its parts.
- We are bombarded with systems views.
- have boundaries and surroundings
- 1 + 1 = 3 or more (greater than the sum of the parts = w:synergy)
- Scaling (space, time....)
- Linear data feeds no longer done -- data from surroundings and from multiple sources is no collected.
more views than users than doers
=== Research method ===
1) Observational Study (uses w:scientific method)
- w:Observation -> w:Hypothesis -> w:Experiment -> w:Theory
Often, experiment leads back to another or modified hypothesis 2) Controlled Experience 3) Controlled Experiment
== GiS Essentials == (questions it answers answers)
1) Unique IDs (who? what?)
2) w:Coordinates (where? when?)
3) w:Metadata (why? how?)
Metadata reference Informaiton
- Metadata about the metadata (used to check validity of data)
Info on next weeks homework
1) think about something I enjoy
2) find articles others have written on the topic
- On subject line of email "G26_LastName_art1"
- What I liked, didn't, info, deficiencies
- Gear article searches that will aid in paper writing
ArcExplorer is a shapefile viewer, offered as a free download from ESRI
You can obtian this program here