The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees has commissioned a steering group of board and staff members to conduct the search for the Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director. The group started in March 2016 and concluded its work in June 2016, when the Board of Trusteed appointed Katherine Maher as Executive Director.
The ED search steering group has been formed to lead the search for the next Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director. It will regularly communicate its work with the entire board to make sure that it is aligned with the aims of the entire board. Its powers and responsibilities are:
- To identify, evaluate and select candidates for approval by the Board
- To engage consultants or a search firm to support the search
- To consult with our community and collect their input
- To determine the job description for the new Executive Director position after consultation with the entire Board
- To negotiate base recruitment on the compensation package recommended by the Human Resources Committee
- To consult additional non-voting members as appropriate for its purpose
- To report progress to the Board
The steering group is composed of
- Alice Wiegand (Board’s vice chair, head of ED search steering group)
- Kelly Battles (Board member, Audit committee chair)
- Guy Kawasaki (Board member, Human Resources committee chair)
- Dariusz Jemielniak (Board member, Board Governance committee chair)
- Katie Horn (Staff member, selected by staff)
- Lisa Gruwell (Staff member, Leadership team, selected by the Board)
The steering group will provide regular updates on the update page.
The steering group needs your input. We are looking for more than only our perspective and we want to invite you to share your thoughts and ideas about what kind of ED is needed to lead the Wikimedia Foundation. To structure the collection a bit, we have prepared three short questions that we find are important for our search. Please let us know what you think on the community input page.