It has been proposed that Wikimedians from eight regions of the world should be represented on a Movement Charter drafting committee. These approximately cover the world's lands, dividing them into mutually exclusive regions for purpose of exact geopolitical representation.
The regions are not ordered in principle; this ordering of the eight is arbitrary, roughly east-to-west.
- ESEAP: East and Southeast Asia, and the Pacific region
- SAARC: South Asia
- MENA: Middle East and North Africa
- Indaba: Africa, as per Wiki Indaba, an approximately annual conference
- CEE: Central and Eastern Europe
- Western Europe (including northern Europe)
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- North America (sometimes including the Caribbean); see WikiConference North America
A different definition of SEVEN regions is here: Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund They are
- CEE and Central Asia
- Northern and Western Europe
- United States and Canada
- Latin America and The Caribbean
- Middle East and Africa