Started: January 2001
Areas of strength
- Breaking news and current events
- Popular culture
Areas of weakness
Who is the competition (print, online)?
- Encarta (Microsoft)
- World Book
- How to destroy Wikipedia (essay)
- Departure of Larry Sanger
- John Seigenthaler case
- One million articles
- Essjay controversy
What has its impact been?
- Inspired many other language editions, projects
- Has become staple for college students
What language features are challenging?
- British and American spellings (ie. colour vs color). General agreement than articles with British roots should be dominated by British spellings, and vice versa. But by default, American spellings predominate.
What would surprise the outside reader about the community?
- Dedicated IRC channels for vandal fighting
- Software robots for copyright violations, vandal fighting
What are some unique practices/characteristics?
- Request for Adminship highly political, garnering over 50-100 "votes" at a time
- Featured article for the front page is chosen each day by one individual (User:Raul654)
Who were the earliest participants, who started it?
- Larry Sanger
- Jimmy Wales
- Tim Shell
Other prominent Wikipedians?
- Raul654 - featured articles, arbitration committee
- Danny - early Wikipedian, one of the first Wikimedia Foundation employees
- Bastique - current Wikimedia Foundation volunteer coordinator