English Wikipedia anti-SOPA blackout/Quotes
From Meta, a Wikimedia project coordination wiki
Great quotes about the blackout. See also English Wikipedia SOPA blackout/Media
- Anil Dash: One key lesson for SOPA/PIPA sponsors: Wikipedia lets everyone legally copy its content. Millions still mourn its absence when it's down.
- "This has been a real learning experience for the content world" -- John P. Feehery, a former Republican leadership aide and executive at the motion picture lobby, as reported 
- "My Internet is broken today. Hitting that “all known thought” button on my toolbar gives me a quick, maddening glimpse of Wikipedia that is then overtaken by a black screen that asks me to “Imagine a world without free knowledge.” I just did and I didn’t like it, now can I have my Wikipedia back?" -- David Carr
- "This is the first real test of the political strength of the Web, and regardless of how things go, they are no longer a pushover. The Web taking a stand against one of the most powerful lobbyers and seeming to get somewhere is definitely a first." - Tim Wu, Columbia Law School professor, speaking to the New York Times
- "[Under SOPA/PIPA,) every one of those sites would have to take steps to prevent publishers, which is to say people, which is to say you, from helping anyone find out about the existence of sites the US media firms don't like. And since the law doesn't require a private company to provide any advance notice before the blacklisting, these sites will be forced to spy on their users, in advance and all the time, to make sure you are not talking about sites media firms in the US do not want you to talk about, even if you are not a US citizen. Sopa and Pipa are, quite simply, an attempt to create a privatised form of international censorship, and because the censorship would have to be nearly total to be effective, they would have a profound and chilling effect on any form of public conversation among ordinary citizens. It would render the internet a place where the only content to be seen or heard or read is produced by professionals, with the rest of us relegated to the role of pure consumption." Clay Shirky, writing in the Guardian
- "This kind of internet protest is easier to organise than getting thousands of people onto the streets to demonstrate - and often has even less effect on the course of legislation. But this time it does seem to have worked." Rory Cellan-Jones, for the BBC.
- "This is altogether a new effect. [I can't remember seeing] an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramatically [in the last four decades]" –Christopher Dodd, Chairman of MPAA
Quotes from US elected officials
- Congressman Tim Holden withdraws as co-sponsor of SOPA. "An open internet demands we find a better way" 
- Sen. Robert Menendez @SenatorMenendez - #NJ: I hear your concerns re: #PIPA loud & clear & share in these concerns. I'm working to ensure critical changes are made to the bill.
- Senator Jeff Merkley @SenJeffMerkley Thanks for all the calls, emails, and tweets. I will be opposing #SOPA and #PIPA. We can't endanger an open internet.
- John Cornyn @JohnCornyn SOPA: better to get this done right rather than fast and wrong. Stealing content is theft, plain and simple, but... [http://fb.me/1Bchxwhl6 fb.me/1Bchxwhl6]
- Ron Wyden @RonWyden Anti- #PIPA, #SOPA traffic has temporarily shut down our website. Learn more about #open at keepthewebopen.com.
- Mark Udall @MarkUdall Web piracy is a real problem but we must protect free speech on the Internet, visit my website for info. Stop #SOPA and #PIPA.
- Frank R. Lautenberg @FrankLautenberg The original version of #PIPA raises serious concerns & substantial changes must be made to preserve a free & open Internet.
- Gov. Gary Johnson Hat's Off to @Wikipedia, @jimmy_wales etal for their SOPA/PIPA protest! Keep the govt police away from the Internet. latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/201
- Jerry Moran @JerryMoran I oppose #SOPA and #PIPA and support keeping the web #OPEN. RT and change your photo if you agree. goo.gl/BRINW
- Senator Rand Paul @SenRandPaul I oppose #SOPA & #PIPA have pledged to filibuster and do everything I can to stop gov't censorship of the Internet.
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski @lisamurkowski PIPA legislation raises serious concerns about our civil liberties. That’s why next week I plan to oppose the current #PIPA bill.
- Marco Rubio Therefore, I have decided to withdraw my support for the Protect IP Act.
- Zoe Lofgren “I think it is an important moment in the Capitol. Too often, legislation is about competing business interests. This is way beyond that. This is individual citizens rising up.”
- @DavidVitter David Vitter I won’t be supporting PIPA. I've been pushing on freedom & security concerns, but both are still not fully addressed facebook.com/DavidVitter
- @rep_stevewomack Rep. Steve Womack I'm looking forward to working w/ my colleagues on crafting a bill that protects Amer. ingenuity w/o infringing on our rights
- @RepJimMcDermott Jim McDermott Its time to wash our hands clean of #SOPA. We need to do something about online piracy, but SOPA isn't the right approach.
- @RepSteveStivers Steve Stivers I appreciate the thoughts on SOPA-I have concerns about the bill & I don't support SOPA in its current form.
- @RepWestmoreland Lynn Westmoreland Getting lots of calls on #SOPA and #PIPA. I oppose both bills because of their unintended consequences. goo.gl/OkAdz
- @RepMikeRogersAL Mike Rogers Folks have contacted me with concerns/questions over SOPA legislation & as the bill is currently written, I cannot support it.
- @boblatta U.S. Rep. Bob Latta At this time, I do not support #SOPA and #PIPA in their current form. ow.ly/8xYgP
- @RepLoBiondo Frank LoBiondo Appreciate all calls, emails, tweets from #SouthJersey residents re: #SOPA - I am STRONGLY OPPOSED & would be a NO if it came to vote as is.
- @nikiinthehouse Niki Tsongas I oppose #SOPA. It is written too broadly and could have an adverse affect on free speech and internet innovation.
- @louiseslaughter Louise Slaughter To clarify, I oppose both #SOPA and #PIPA. The many tweets you've sent me today are the best proof that these bills should be stopped.
- @RepCoryGardner Cory Gardner online piracy is a real issue but we must maintain a free & open internet #opposeSOPA #endpiracynotliberty
- "It is ironic that a website dedicated to providing information is spreading misinformation about the Stop Online Piracy Act. The bill will not harm Wikipedia, domestic blogs or social networking sites. This publicity stunt does a disservice to its users by promoting fear instead of facts." "(Congressman Lamar Smith) responds to Wikipedia Publicity Stunt: Wikipedia Promotes Fear not Facts." (Lamar Smith)
- Dodd Calls for Hollywood and Silicon Valley to Meet. The New York Times (January 19, 2012). Retrieved on January 20, 2012.