This page documents linkages between the Wikimedia community and Meta Platforms, Inc. (formerly Facebook, Inc.).
A number of Wikimedia communities have robust communication via Facebook pages and groups.
Certain Wikimedia projects have policies restricting linking to Facebook.
There was a proposal to add Facebook-login as an optional login-method, which was rejected.
In November 2014, Meta's open-source HHVM PHP interpreter tool was deployed on Wikimedia servers, in order to decrease loading time on Wikimedia projects. In September 2017, the Wikimedia Foundation adopted a plan to drop HHVM. (See phab:T176370.)
Meta's use of Wikimedia content
On April 19, 2010, Facebook introduced Community Pages, which are Pages that are populated with articles from Wikipedia. In 2017, Facebook integrated Wikipedia articles into its Article Context feature. The WMF responded to this in a statement.
The Wikimedia Foundation has begun work to allow donations through Facebook.
- See for example, w:en:WP:FACEBOOK
- w:Wikipedia:Perennial proposals#Share pages on Facebook, Twitter etc.
- Social media plugins
- Phabricator task T61631, Enable Facebook login on Wikimedia wikis: Closed, rejected
- "Archive copy". Archived from the original on 2021-12-02. Retrieved 2021-12-02.
- Phabricator task T213179, Activate donations through Facebook