Below are some basic points you can use in your text to send to a Member of the European Parliament in your country. Please modify and translate it for personal use.
Subject: Save Freedom of Panorama in Your country
- Explain who you are (Wikipedia volunteer)
- Point to the file you are writing about (InfoSoc Implementation Report voted on 16 June in the Legal Affairs Committee and Amendment 421 by Jean-Marie Cavada)
- Explain that lack of Freedom of Panorama in Your country, as opposed to 15 other EU Member States, means sharing pictures of the public space is currently problematic.
- Say that you were hoping that Your country would join the group of 15 with the full freedom, so you can safely use pictures of the public space.
- Say that this would not only solve the problems you are experiencing at home, but it would have the effect of Wikipedia having to remove images from its articles from across Europe.
- Say that this would cause tens of thousands of images to be deleted.
- Explain why NC/Commercial distinctions don’t work:
- Legal uncertainty creating a grey zone.
- Wikipedia is non for-profit but can be considered of commercial scale.
- Many educational uses nowadays are commercial, even if they are non for-profit.
- Appeal to them to support removing or changing the text at the plenary vote on 9 July in Strasbourg.