Below are some basic points you can use in your text to send to a Member of the European Parliament in your country. Please modify and translate it for personal use.
Subject: Save Freedom of Panorama in Your country
- Explain who you are (Wikipedia volunteer)
- Point to the file you are writing about (InfoSoc Implementation Report voted on 16 June in the Legal Affairs Committee and Amendment 421 by Jean-Marie Cavada)
- Explain that Your country, just as 15 other EU Member States currently have full Freedom of Panorama
- Say that this would have the effect of Wikipedia having to remove images from its articles
- Say that this would cause tens of thousands of images to be deleted
- Explain why NC/Commercial distinctions don’t work
- Legal uncertainty creating a grey zone
- Wikipedia is non for-profit but can be considered of commercial scale
- Many educational uses nowadays are commercial, even if they are non for-profit
- Appeal to them to support removing or changing the text at the plenary vote on 9 July in Strasbourg.